Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Iam just as proud as I can be of my creation that I call Beast. Its my epic that I put mavic speed city 700c wheels with stans rotors on along with Rotor Cranks and a Gravity Dropper. :thumbsup: On the front at this time I have a Ritchey ZED 42c and a Maxiss Worm 42c on the back it just rips on all types of terrain.:D Its fully Brain activated Fox 100m X and Brain back about to get the fox fork pushed and get 07 new Epic frame. I use the Panaracer FireCross 1.85 and the Bontager 1.8 on the front for rough rides and yes its fits on my fox fork without any problems at all. On the back I use worm mostly along with WTB 38c wolfy and IRC Mythos semi slick 40c, having almost 4inches in the rear makes using these skinner tires not a problem my ride is still smooth I clear things that never did on my 26 rims. I live in SCal in Runnings 6300ft up about 8 miles from Big Bear Ca and ride nasty techy Super-D type conditions with my setup:eekster: Weighs in at 25.5.

Attachments

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
Hope you had fun with the build :) At least you had the balls to do what Specialized won't (just my opinion - I had a Specialized once and liked it).

Are your crank arms lined up straight though? Could just be the camera angles.

Oops - just saw the cranks are Rotor :-/ Never mind. Man you are pushing the techno meter with that thing!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problem will load them a lil later

No problem at all I will be putting on the Bontager 1.8 and Panaracer Fire Cross 1.85 or 45c and load pics of these also later today had pipe freeze and no water since yesterday plumber on the way now.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cranks are so Bad A$$ i had them for a while and would never take them off of my bike dont care about the weight penatly they out perform it.

·
528 Posts
I like it.

That is a great modification. How do the Maxxis work on the rear. Pretty decent traction?

B-RAY said:
No problem at all I will be putting on the Bontager 1.8 and Panaracer Fire Cross 1.85 or 45c and load pics of these also later today had pipe freeze and no water since yesterday plumber on the way now.

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
i visited a lbs in cerritos and was talking 29er with the shop manager.

he told me he used to have 29er fisher supercal or sumthin and switched to a new bike set up...a spec. epic with "cx disc wheelset" and 1.8"/42c tires. he was running a campy drivetrain with some campy flabar shifters.

sounded kinda cool....bike wasn't in the shop though.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah the Maxiss works great it seems that the 42c is more aggressive to me than the 26x1.95 cause its thinner. I can get great traction no problem on all types of terrian.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
slocaus said:
Enough to distract you from the Gravity Dropper...... :D :D
yeah, that's the high performance combo, especially on an epic with 1.7-inch tires.

i'll stick with my legit 29er, thanks. but i have to applaud the innovative spirit.

cheers,
mg

·
Registered
803 Posts
if ppl didnt have that innovative spirit, we would still be stuck with 26ers....... or worse, road bikes! hhaahhahaa ok, just kidding abt road bikes, i have 1 old school steel road bike in fact.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
pimpbot said:
... but how does the 1.5" higher BB feel? On paper, that would be the deal breaker for me. I like low BBs. Of course, I've never ridden such a rig (but I have a bud with a Tracer, and that thing is higher than RIck James in the 80s! :) )
With those skinny tires, it might only be .75-1" higher.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm not that familiar with the Epic rear. Can the rear ride height be adjusted?

I like the build, and have been thinking about a similar one since a friend now has an Epic frame he's trying to get rid of.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.