Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summer's here, and my legs looks like I had mad-monkey love in a bramble patch....the sure-fire sign of a mountain biker.

After over 15 years of riding, it seems that starting every summer I get a new tube of neosporin and band-aids for the inevitable tree branch scratches, drivetrain mishap lunge/falls, backcountry river crossings, stunts, rock garden scrapes, etc......

finally, after the 3rd bloody left elbow in 5 weeks, the wife suggested the possibility of wearing a bit of armor......but with warm summer temperatures and such, I'm perplexed as to which ones will give me the coverage without being too bulky and hot.

Neoprene just screams hot, and the dirtjumping style large elbow/forearm pads seem like overkill.

suggestions? 661 chicken wing? fox 911?

thanks in advance, and get out there and ride!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Dont have any recommendations, but find myself in the same situation. Youd think w/the carbon craze wed see some cool exoskeleton stuff.

wayne

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeaaah! Me Too!

wayneosdias said:
Dont have any recommendations, but find myself in the same situation. Youd think w/the carbon craze wed see some cool exoskeleton stuff.

wayne
I have a bad knee which I have pounded raw in the past and had to have a couple hundred CC's of fluid drained out of last year. When recently I performed a spectacular digger in a rock garden and swelled it back up...That was the final straw! I am going to buy knee pads. I don't care to much about the leg abrasions but knees like backs will punish you for a long-long time "Joe". So I too will be interested in suggestions.
Thanks
Oh and for all you 20 somethings out there who deride this as old guy thinking...Time is a great equaliser.

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
Me too

......but with warm summer temperatures and such, I'm perplexed as to which ones will give me the coverage without being too bulky and hot.

Neoprene just screams hot, and the dirtjumping style large elbow/forearm pads seem like overkill.

suggestions? 661 chicken wing? fox 911?

thanks in advance, and get out there and ride![/QUOTE]

........or 661 DJ ELbow?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
consider Rockgarden Airframe

I have been in the same boat and have been using the rockgarden airframe knee/shin gard for the past 8 months for general cross country riding. Overall, I have been pleased. They can still be a little warm, but most pads are. The Rockgardens tend to breath pretty well. I have ridden them in 95+ degree temps (I live in Houston, TX) and found them to be bearable. In lower temps (70's and 80's) they are very comfortable.

The thigh straps tend to slip a little (I think they have fixed this with the newer pads), but the the lower staps are strong enough to hold the pads in place with out any slippage. I did add some extra velcro for added security, but it was probably not needed.

Heres the link to the Rockgarden site.
http://www.rockgardn.com/

They are worth checking out

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
check your private message....I just shot you a message

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Tappoix said:
clean out your inbox, dude!
I know, I know! Work keeps getting in the way of my personal time...Doh!

Try emailing me instead, k? [email protected]

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Rockgardn

I agree with the other gent who suggested the ROCKGARDN Airframe Knee/Shin. They are great for summer XC riding. Great protection along with awesome airflow. Check'em out click the pic.

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how about for elbows?

thanks in advance, and get out there and ride!

·
Registered
424 Posts
661 Chichen Wings work great in XC condition, I ride in Southern Cal and they're light and soft. The only draw back is that they don't provide hard cup at elbow point, but for surface protection those are great. i also use Fox Ventilator knee pads which is dirt cheap and again light and simple, they are not for serious downhill but I can easily stuff them in Camelbak and put on in seconds after I clear the peak. You can also paddle with them without stretch the knee cup, which makes the ventilation a lot better and gets the basic protection in most XC condition. If you are looking for least cumbersome and most ventilated pads as I did, those are all you need and they saved my skin well many times.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I too am trying to decide between these

these

and these

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
carbon fiber on armor would be a VERY VERY bad idea. Carbon doesn't do nice things when it fails during an impact. Very sharp splinters often result !

·
Registered
445 Posts
The Dainese pads are worth looking at too. My knee pads wrap around the back of the calf which reduces a lot of pedal damage. They are a little hot but I don't really mind. My Lizard skin neoprene elbows are hot as hell, but they have looked after me. I usually strap the knee pads around my top tube on the climb up, and hang the elbows from the camelbak straps. Put 'em on at the top and let hell break loose. Sometimes the extra weight is worth it for the extra confidence and speed the protection inspires.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have the veggies and the chicken wings, and I ride the hot and rocky trails of AZ. I rate this gear as so-so. I don't wear the elbow pads very often. I wear the knee pads most every ride on local trails. They aren't exactly cool, but I really don't think about them heatwise while riding. They are however a bit on the uncomfortable side. I usually pull them down around my calf while climbing easy stuff and pull them over my knees when things get tricky and for going down.

A friend has the 661 "Race" pads and those seem more lightweight.

Overall, it seems to me that this is a market segment that is not being well served.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts