Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was only a year or so ago that I was happily spending my weekends on my Moots Smoothie. I begrudgingly went over to the dark side of F/S, but have to admit I loved it. I had flirted with the SS thing once or twice but it wasn't for me. I figured I had found my spot. Then I start stalking the 29er board. First it rekindled the desire to try rigid SS again, and I was hooked almost from the first ride. Then the idea to give the big wheeled revolution a look was too great to resist. I swapped a cyclocross bike I wasn't riding for a Carl Strong 29er. The frame was too big and I don't lke the feel of Aluminum. That being said, i really liked rideing the bigger wheels and decided to build up a 29er that would fit. While doing my research I decided to convert my Matt Chester Ute into a rigid 96er (I know, blaspheme). I have been riding the Ute almost exclusively and have absolutely been blown away by the ride. I have been using a Sacha White rigid fork that was designed for 26" wheels, but easily accomodates the Rampage. MC built his 26" frames with steep HA's to begin, so the set-up ended up right around 71/72. My Joseph Ahearne 29 frame arrives TODAY! Should be built up by the weekend. My issue with the faithful on this board is that in anticipation of a new frame, I figured my Moots would get even less action than it had already. With that in mind, I took it out on Saturday for a quick loop. The ride was, in a word, TERRIFYING. I was unable to steer the bike. EVERY bit of loose trail i hit made the front end wash out from under me. EVERY steep pitch I descended was an endo just waiting to happen. I can't believe my beloved Smoothie gave me such a frightful ride! I think I am now beyond salvage in terms of riding smaller wheels. The Moots was a 40th B'Day gift from my wife, so its not going anywhere. The new Ahearne, I almost called in sick to be home when the Brown Santa arrived, can't wait. I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and pick up a WB Magic 80 and do the old 96 conversion to the Smoothie. Aqua, Cloxxi, Rainman, and the rest you...I hope you're satisfied!!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
LOL :D Well I haven't been drinking the Koolaid for long just a few weeks now, but when I get back from my CO trip I intend to build back up my Trance and take it for a spin to see how it feels and also put the 29er REBA on there and see how it feels as a 69er, then I'm selling it as it's just not the right size by a little bit.

Strip the Moots if the 69er thing doesn't work out and put it up on the wall as art :D

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
MTBDad....

Heheheheh .... been there, done that, got the T-Shirt too.. :D

I ride my son's 26" wheeled Trek or one of the bikes that come in for service sometimes, just to remind myself how much better off I am on a 29'er...:thumbsup:

R.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts