Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
141 - 160 of 2956 Posts

·
i like to bicycle
335 Posts
i chose the wtb

the bend thru the front of the drop position is nicer, more ergo, not as pinch-y. i've seen midges modified to create a nice happy spot in the front of the drop, but the wtb is good w/o any mods. the drop position is longer too. at times i wish it was flatter with regard to flare. i think the standing climbing position is great in the drops. i haven't been too motivated to try any other bars overall.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
A little side question..

I have a Empella crossfire cyclocross bike with a incredible amount of tire clearance and just for the hell of it I will like to see what happen if you mount really wide tires (well more than 35mm) with a good amount of volume for heavy trail riding dutty.

I'm running and will be running hand lace Mavic open-pro rims so tire/rim compatibility is the main issue.

As you can see is plenty of space left, well if you are not riding in thick mud at least.

So the question is, how big of a tire can i run with out suffering "Roll overs" and making the bike ito a "Silly" useless monster (no offense)..!?!?

And Yes I know this is a porpuse build cross bike and not a 29er but I still want to try.

Ps: I love this compilation of awesome machines.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Patineto-you should be able to run as large a tire as you can cram in the chainstays and not worry about rolling a tire or it getting too squirmy. I run WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55 tires on my rigid single speed on wheels built around Mavic MA2 rims that are the same width as your Open Pros and they work great, never had a problem with the tire/rim combo. I like your chainstay guard, by the way ;).

·
Brakes?
152 Posts
Posted many times before...

Still riding, probably gets the most mileage in the stable.

Commuting, a little cross racing, gravel roads, singletrack, etc...

Typically has 38c Serfas touring tires, this pic is with the Mutanos, also run Hutchinson Pro Cross tires for the races.

...and yes, that is circa ~89 8-speed Dura Ace. Still works great!

A great bike. I'm pretty stoked that Surly is going to make one with S&S couplers in it. IT'll be the perfect 'do-all' travel bike.

Scheming to buy another cross check...:thumbsup:

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Patineto -- ditto, whatever will fit without buzzing the fork legs or stays while under power. You'll want to leave a couple of mm to allow for frame and wheel flex. But it looks to me like you should be able to stuff a 700x45 in the fork. I was able to do that on my Bianchi Volpe, though I could only get a 700x35 to fit between the chainstays.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
el-cid said:
Patineto-you should be able to run as large a tire as you can cram in the chainstays and not worry about rolling a tire or it getting too squirmy. I run WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55 tires on my rigid single speed on wheels built around Mavic MA2 rims that are the same width as your Open Pros and they work great, never had a problem with the tire/rim combo.
Great news.

I'm being around mountain bikes since forever, but I confess I know very little about 700c wheels and much less 29ers
I like your chainstay guard, by the way ;).

Thanks senor, by now I have done it a few times.

GlowBoy said:
Patineto -- ditto, whatever will fit without buzzing the fork legs or stays while under power. You'll want to leave a couple of mm to allow for frame and wheel flex. But it looks to me like you should be able to stuff a 700x45 in the fork. I was able to do that on my Bianchi Volpe, though I could only get a 700x35 to fit between the chainstays.
Awesome..

I have about 74mm of total lateral space at the fork and 70mm vertical (from the rim) in the front and almost 64mm x 64mm in the back.

now is just need to check for profiles, sizes and see what fits.

thanks for the great advice & hope.

·
SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
1,200 Posts
I'm working on a bastardized Monstercross thing right now. I'll post some pics ASAP. Probably when I finish it tomorrow or Friday. Only so much time. At that point, I'll explain what it is. An odd story. Let's just say that I can hardly wait to ride this thing.

I like the chainstay cover too. Is that tape or what? How'd you do the combo colors?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mostercross/drop bar 29er

Here's my drop bar 29er. As it's got 42c tyres at the moment, it's more of a monstercross. It's got the obligatory Midge bars, Brooks saddle and ss/fixie drivetrain.

The bars are high (it's a Matt Chester-inspired build), but not as high as they look in this picture!

(Yet another) big thanks to Solitude Alex (singlespeedpunk) for offering this custom build as a prize at the 2006 UK SS championships. This build suits me and the riding I do perfectly, but I'd probably never have gone this route if I was paying for a frame myself.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
1 Speed said:
I like the chainstay cover too. Is that tape or what? How'd you do the combo colors?
Nope mister Single speeder, is Not tape..

Recycle "Mt Tuffys" since they suck to protect flats (sometimes even promote flats), but they rule to wrap things around..

I did not know it was so much interest, so I start a How to Report on the "Tooltime" forum.

So far I'm being using the same trick for about 7 years and none a scratch on any of my chain stays, even suffering from "chainsuck" farder more the material is so thick, strong and flexible does not even get damage.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
patineto said:
Hello Mark always a Pleasure..

Hey great idea on your website, maybe I need to start something similar so I don't end up buying every good deal I find..:madman:

So how many 29ers do you have now...!?!?
I have Zero 29ers right now Ricardo.

Check your PMs.

Great to see you back posting. We need to catch up.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
creepyfriendly said:
Here's my custom Bob Brown Monster cross. I've been enjoying this steel steed for a couple months on and off the cross course. The overall set up started out as a full on cross race machine and ended up as a superb mtb.

More info.
MERCY...your Bob Brown is gorgeous. Nice job !

·
Registered
153 Posts
More Monster Goodness

Hey Patineto, Try Bonty XR 1.8s, they shold clear both ends fine but I doubt bigger will fit in back, a Fire cross may fit the front too.

Got the wheels turning on a custom being planned now, 29 x 2.1 clearance in fillet brazed Zona, Midges, 1 x 9 or SS with Horizontal road dropouts, Mullet bb7 front - Canti rear brakes.

Those Bob Browns are incredible, but sadly too much coin right now

·
heckler
166 Posts
Retrocowboy said:
Not a true monster cross, but it sure is fun! :thumbsup:
holy cow! that inbred is ace! what size frame is that and how tall are you?

i'm thinking of a similar build for a project but not sure what size 29er frame would be right when using midge bars

141 - 160 of 2956 Posts