Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2948 Posts

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
tamjam said:
Seriously? I like that.

That is a nice looking CC Nat.
Thanks. Tennis grip feels way better than bike tape, and it's designed for people with sweaty hands. Mine aren't so sweaty but the tape gets tackier when damp.

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
Nat said:
Thanks. Tennis grip feels way better than bike tape, and it's designed for people with sweaty hands. Mine aren't so sweaty but the tape gets tackier when damp.
Not to dwell too long on the subject of your grips, but what brand is that? I am looking for similar in red for my commuter build.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
So has there ever been a monster cross built without a 45 degree stem and 40mm of spacers? Meaning...who's built a custom monstercross eliminating the need for the spacer/stem to gain all the reach?

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Padre said:
So has there ever been a monster cross built without a 45 degree stem and 40mm of spacers? Meaning...who's built a custom monstercross eliminating the need for the spacer/stem to gain all the reach?
See the links that I posted above...you have to scroll down through the blog postings, but there are pictures of the bikes. The Lalondes are fairly normal height though so they don't need the bars very high (compared to you at least Padre).

·
tiny rider
623 Posts
Here's my Monster-X coming from the other direction. It's a stock Trek 520 touring bike with the fattest tires I could stuff into the fork.

I've posted the images before, so I'll take a moment to review the tires. These are Ritchey SpeedMax (iirc) 700x40c tires on the fat touring rims the bike came with.

They are incredibly quiet and smooth on pavement. I notice the extra weight a bit vs. road tires, and the top speed is somewhat slower. The edge knobs don't inspire the same confidence in turns that my road tires do, so I tend to turn more deliberately when leaning the bike.

These have been very tough on the trails so far. The first time out I tried airing them down too much and, after snakebiting a couple tubes, road 3 miles back w/o any air in the rear. The tire didn't look worn at all and has held up since. I've had them on some quite rocky and occasionally sharp trails, and they don't show any significant wear yet.

Some rocks (but smooth ones here):

There are limits to the dirt traction, but they are surprisingly high, even with 65lbs of pressure. I've only been in hardpack, some loose over hardpack, gravel and some rocky bits; I can't comment on the wet/mud aspects of the tire, though.

All in all, I've been surprised with their capability on both trail and road.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Yet another CX bike with as big a tire as I can cram in there experiment. Clearly, the fork has more than enough clearance for a Conti Vapor 1.9. The rear will barely, and I mean barely, fit a Ritchey Zed 42c. Still rolls though. A 40c Speedmax would fit for sure. I'll have to get one of them for the rear. Admitedly, the bike rarely sees this set up though. I've got a route planned where bigger tires like this would certainly help. Something Guitar Ted would be interested in(you listening??) participating in. I think Donkey has or had a Kelly set up exactly like this too, but his was that cooool Toothpaste color.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
So we've got this Trek 700 Multitrack in the garage hooked up to a trainer right now. It is my girlfriend's bike. It features 700c wheels and a entry level SRAM Drivetrain, one of those adjustable stems and some "cruiser" like bars. There is plenty o room for wider tires with more aggressive tread. I was thinking of a stem replacement and some Midge or Space Bars or maybe Inverted Mary's to breathe a little life into it. Worth it or not?

·
Ride da mOOn
8,470 Posts
Nat said:
Rock out with your c0ck out! I heart this bike. That is a DT ss hub with a 5 cog cluster. I ran it SS a bit this summer but eventually switched it back to the 10 speed setup. Mostly I like using the old school down tube shifters on friction mode. It's geared 32-36 up front and 12-14-16-18-20 in the back.

I also have a set of fatter tires (Mythos CX I think) that were nice but the problem there was the front cantis couldn't open wide enough to remove the front wheel. I had to deflate/inflate the tire every time I wanted to take the wheel off, and that got to be too much of a nuisance.

I don't ride fixed , so I can't comment on that configuration.

We live a long way from one another but if you were here I'd let you ride it. I bet you won't be disappointed when you build yours up similarly.

Edit: The Mythos CX tires are what's shown in the above pics. Note the front tire width and how the cantis won't open widely enough. I now have skinnier-yet-cushioney WTB All Terrainosaurus tires on it. 700c x 35 maybe?
Nat:

That first line has me crack'in up That has to go on a T Shirt somewhere...LOL!

·
Registered
20 Posts
trek 520 offroadies unite!

cartographer said:
Here's my Monster-X coming from the other direction. It's a stock Trek 520 touring bike with the fattest tires I could stuff into the fork.

I've posted the images before, so I'll take a moment to review the tires. These are Ritchey SpeedMax (iirc) 700x40c tires on the fat touring rims the bike came with.

They are incredibly quiet and smooth on pavement. I notice the extra weight a bit vs. road tires, and the top speed is somewhat slower. The edge knobs don't inspire the same confidence in turns that my road tires do, so I tend to turn more deliberately when leaning the bike.

These have been very tough on the trails so far. The first time out I tried airing them down too much and, after snakebiting a couple tubes, road 3 miles back w/o any air in the rear. The tire didn't look worn at all and has held up since. I've had them on some quite rocky and occasionally sharp trails, and they don't show any significant wear yet.

Some rocks (but smooth ones here):

There are limits to the dirt traction, but they are surprisingly high, even with 65lbs of pressure. I've only been in hardpack, some loose over hardpack, gravel and some rocky bits; I can't comment on the wet/mud aspects of the tire, though.

All in all, I've been surprised with their capability on both trail and road.
(fairly new poster)

Rock on! my current steed (for just about everything) is also a trek 520 (maybe even the same year- 2002?), but I stripped out all the gears and run it fixed/single with an ENO eccentric. Also, midge bars with a crazy riser/stem set up. When i'm feeling offroady i shove 700x40 WTB Allterrainasauraus's in there, but i've also been surprised with the amount of stuff you can do with 700x28 slicks.

picture one is me trackstanding with the fat tires, from denali np in alaska. I rode the gravel road into our campsite instead of paying the outrageous fare for the bus:

picture two is with slicks, but it gives you an idea of the setup (also from alaska):

sometime soon i'll buy a casseroll to take over the fixed/ss duties and return the trek to its geared state. If i stick with midge-type drop bars i'll get a hunter custom stem hold them properly.

Attachments

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
Man, you guys are making me wish I had never sold my old Voodoo, which ironically, is the bike that got me into 29ers. I loved the speed with which it allowed me to climb, but it was too harsh when the trail got rough. I stuffed the fattest tire I could in (44c) and still wanted more. Sold it to fund my first 29er frame. Would love to have it back. It would definitely have a steeper stem and Midge bars on it by now.

Attachments

·
tiny rider
623 Posts
jtill said:
(fairly new poster)

Rock on! my current steed (for just about everything) is also a trek 520 (maybe even the same year- 2002?), but I stripped out all the gears and run it fixed/single with an ENO eccentric. Also, midge bars with a crazy riser/stem set up. When i'm feeling offroady i shove 700x40 WTB Allterrainasauraus's in there, but i've also been surprised with the amount of stuff you can do with 700x28 slicks.
--snip--

If i stick with midge-type drop bars i'll get a hunter custom stem hold them properly.
Mine is actually a 2000, but it's not like they changed anything in the past couple decades ;) Some year, I might actually take it touring, but up till now it's been a road/dirt/kid-trailer-towing machine. I think it would be great for the Denali road; the fork does a great job handling that kind of surface.

I'm seriously considering changing out the bars, as it can get rough hanging on with vertical drops. Something like the new WTB dirt drops might give me just enough flare for comfort without killing my road-riding.

Happy riding in the frozen north!

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
This thread ROCKS!!!!!! Keep 'um comin'...

Question for you monstercorss folks, how is it trying to bunny hot stuff with drops? I bunny hot stuff all the time on my road bike (because that's how MTBers do it on the road) but always from the hoods. Riding drops with a MTB one rides in the drops and not the hoods.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I thought I would join too! Niner MCR w/ midges. Only have about 10 rides on this with minor fit tinkering with stem and stack height every couple of rides. I believe the fit is right on for my intended use and terrain. Very fun to ride!
After the sb8's wear out I plan on going to a smaller tire. CX or smaller XC with some cornering tread. Something in the 42-48mm range. I will keep lurking on the forums to help choose.
Tim

Attachments

21 - 40 of 2948 Posts