Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2921 - 2940 of 2950 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
650B monstercross build

Hello everyone, I want to show you my build. The pictures are not that good, sorry for that, I hope I'll find time to make better ones.

The frame is from aliexpress, it was branded as BXT 27.5 mtb frame. It is some kind of generic frame, I doubt BXT are doing any manufaturing themselves. Those guys are just buying stuff in bulk and branding it as their own. I don't have problem with that, fine with me. Does anyone recognize this frame? It would be just great to know the real manufacturer.

Anyway back to the bike. I'm using 11 speed Shimano ST-RS685 Shifters and BR-RS785 brakes – those are the cheapest hydraulic disc brakes for road I was able to find. A little bit heavy but performance wise they are flawless. I have two wheelsets. One is carbon and the other one is alloy. The complete bike with alloy wheelset cost me around 1200$. The weight is 8850g without pedals. Pretty satisfied with the build. Done about 2500km as of now.

You can check this youtube video I made about this bike, if you interested in more details:
https://youtu.be/GeuBha-f3_4

Right now I'm using Shimano GRX RD812 rear derailleur. Bought it a month ago, before that I was using SLX mtb rear derailleur with an adapter. FYI you need an adapter to pair road shifters and mtb derailleur.

About this adapter – it is 3D printed out of PLA plastic. Anyone can download the files and print it, you can find it on thingiverse. Not sure if anyone would need it now when GRX group is out there, but who knows:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4092228

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Wolftooth makes tan pan adapter for Shimano & cost like $4 to buy. Related note, Gevenalle also has drop bar brakes(for single speed) & brake with shifters(not brifters) that work with mtb brakes. The shifters can work either in index or friction mode so it can work with mtb rear derailleurs in both 1x & 2x configs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wolftooth makes tan pan adapter for Shimano & cost like $4 to buy.
Yeah, there is wolftooth tanpan and don't forget about shiftmate from jtek. They are both made of metal – witch is good for reliability. Great products, was pretty useful at the time.

But the cost is actually about 45$ for either one. It is kind of pricy.

The only reason I've mentioned the adapter I was using previously is to make people aware that it exists. At the end of a day the more options is always better. The main benefit of 3D printed adapter is that it is so very cheap to make. I think it is an option for someone who wants to try drop bars on their current mtb with as little investment as possible to see how this monstercross thing works out for them.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Ooops, misread the price. Yeah, $45 is pricey. Maybe there is a generic one on Alibaba? The 3D printed one is a great idea, but only downside would be not everyone has access to a 3D printer or the materials. By chance do you have the file to share for this? I'm thinking about going Shimano setup & tan pan route, but would like to run mtb brakes. I know tan pan isn't for getting road levers to work with mtb brakes, but is there something else for that? If not the Gevenalle drop bar levers come in a variant that works with mtb brakes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
First, damn the full screen ad that wiped out my earlier reply.
Right now I'm using Shimano GRX RD812 rear derailleur. Bought it a month ago, before that I was using SLX mtb rear derailleur with an adapter. FYI you need an adapter to pair road shifters and mtb derailleur.

About this adapter – it is 3D printed out of PLA plastic. Anyone can download the files and print it, you can find it on thingiverse. Not sure if anyone would need it now when GRX group is out there, but who knows:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4092228

Nice :thumbsup:

But why didn't you release the model sooner than half a month ago? :)

By chance do you have the file to share for this? I'm thinking about going Shimano setup & tan pan route, but would like to run mtb brakes. I know tan pan isn't for getting road levers to work with mtb brakes, but is there something else for that? If not the Gevenalle drop bar levers come in a variant that works with mtb brakes.
Are you trying to get road hydraulic working with mountain hydraulic brakes? Then for Shimano, they're supposed to be directly interchangeable.

If you want cable brake pull conversion, then you really do not want to use anything 3D printed out of plastic. Heck, no one's making metal pull adapters anymore either. Best to go with road pull cable calipers or the Gevenalle levers. Gevenalle is probably cheaper than buying Shimano brifters.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Gevenalle for single speed is $35 for the brake levers. For 2x it's like $200, which seems fair Or the cheaper option go 1x with with SS brake levers paired with microshift bar end shifter, which is like $52.

·
Registered
997 Posts
How does wiring for bar-end shifter work? Would I need a specific drop bar that has routing for bar end or would any of them work?
No special bar is required and the cable routing runs on the bottom side of the shifter and the cable/housing are initially taped with the bar and then it exits out of the tape before the rise at the drop. Early Gary bars were too small in circumference to accept standard bar end shifters but every other bar including the newer generation Gary bars are compatible. I have bar ends on my Bianchi Axis and will get a shot of the cable routing tonight and add that for reference.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Another question was told today the bike I ordered has sram Level TL hydro brakes. Would hydro road/gravel leavers work with that? If it can would I need something specific to make it work?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Another question was told today the bike I ordered has sram Level TL hydro brakes. Would hydro road/gravel leavers work with that? If it can would I need something specific to make it work?
IIRC, only the eTap/AXS calipers have 21mm pistons, like the Level calipers do. The standard Red/Force/CX1/Apex calipers have 18mm or 19mm (CX1) pistons, so those levers are likely not able to move enough fluid to actuate the larger 21mm pistons of the Level calipers.

Just find a complete hydro brifter/brakeset on eBay...the SRAM sets with post-mount calipers are usually in lesser demand (and cheaper) than the flat-mount sets that are popular with road and gravel.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I will have to look into it. The LBS I ordered the bike from suggested if I was to go that route I go mechanical mtb brakes.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've picked up good, used sets of SRAM Red and Force brifter/calipers for about $300/set on eBay. The ergonomics of the brifters were the motivating factor, but the performance of the hydraulic brakes are considerably better than cable (Spyres) or cable-hydro (Yokozuna). YMMV.

·
Registered
103 Posts
its cables

cheap levers and calipers from ali

braking perfomance is really poor compared to mtb hydro brakes

but this bike had do be

cheap (i invested 60 usd)
low maintance period and costs (thats why there are no dropper and hydrobrakes)

but bike is still running tubeless

and its quite fast

love it

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi all, I have a 1st generation Karate Monkey with BB7 brakes set up 1x10 with Shimano shifter and derailleur. Want to put a Cowbell or Cowchipper bar on it. I know there is a drop bike BB7 available. What happens if I use the mtn bike BB7 with drop bar brake handles??
Any way to put a shifter on the top part of the bar. Want to keep index shifting. Don't want the brifter type, but do want shifter close at hand while on drops. Will be riding mostly dirt/gravel roads on the front range of Montana. Some single track as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
[SUB]​[/SUB]It would be the wrong brake pull, unless you have a tan pan or the Gevenalle drop bar shifters in a mtb pull variant. There is the single speed model or models with 1x & 2x indexed shifters.

·
ONe less gear
133 Posts
Down by the river...

·
Orange Bikes USA Dealer
1,377 Posts
So after running this for awhile on my local XC trails
20201015_100454.jpg
I was noticing that my times for the 14 mile loop were pretty decent. The only thing holding me back were there small steps and roots that slowed me down due to the rigid front end.

So I decided to see just how fast an XC hardtail is with dropper bars and built this. First ride this weekend as I am waiting for a front brake caliper.
20201022_153938.jpg

2921 - 2940 of 2950 Posts