Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2901 - 2920 of 2950 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im from Brazil and this is my Custom Monstercross bike.

I made the head tube very short so I can build with lower stem and use it like a "gravel" bike or so. Head angle is 69 because I wanted it to behave more like a MTB than a road bike.

Steel frame - not cromoly :(
BXT 480mm Tapered 15mm axle fork (can put 80mm or even 100mm susp)
Deore cranks with 38t ring (have 36 also)
Deore XT rear mech
105 STI
Sunrace 11.46 cassete
TRP Spyre brakes
Alpkit Love mud Bomber bars (similar as midge)
70mm stem
ESI Grips + cheap tape (need to change)
ZTR Crest + novatec 791-792 hubs(not in pictures)

tires may vary. Can fit 650b up to 2.8" or 29 up to 2.5" (tested)

Here are some videos on my local trails

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R8LvFQpNoI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piIIPLOwVwI

fell free to ask questions if u like it or not.
Whoa, I was just looking at these before. Nice!

Local trails look cool, too. Good riding community / local shop around you?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Whoa, I was just looking at these before. Nice!

Local trails look cool, too. Good riding community / local shop around you?
Thanks bro!

I gave up this bike because I dont really like riding asphalt, and theres almost no dirt roads near here. This trails are awesome indeed, but too much for a rigid bike, some even for a xc bike.
The Trail/Enduro people mantain a good trail network, some XC guys donates money for maintenance and uses it too, gravel/road/monstercross people doesnt care (monstercross barely exists here).

https://www.trailforks.com/region/p...vitytype=1&z=10.2&lat=-23.02855&lon=-43.49792

Thats why I gave up this "niche" and sold the bike. Now an enduro hardtail took the place of it. Was fun while I had it, served good to improve my trail skills, but to ride it often on trails is too much suffering and for a mtb guy riding asphalt is too boring.

If u are coming to Brazil, keep in touch and we can arrange some rides here in Rio.

·
ONe less gear
133 Posts
Here's my Monster:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I already have a Soma Wolverine v2 & really like it. However, I am wishing to go even bigger 29 tires, thinking 2.4. Anyone here make the switch from a Wolverine to larger tire 29er Monstercross? Did you miss anything switching?

·
Premium Member
8,859 Posts
I always wondered what this thread was about, seems like a menagerie of touring bikes, gravel bikes, and cross bikes.

I rode a 1992 Bianchi Project 3 across the US and up and down both coasts, then later upgraded to a Project 7 with an early RS suspension fork. Best off road tires back then were the 2.1” Smokes.

Fun bikes, but down bars are not ideal for technical riding, these days I’d take an FS short travel gravel burner with mustache bars.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
For anyone interested I was told my Bombtrack the Beyond+ and Beyond+ ADV can be run as drop bar bikes. The Beyond+ can do 27.5+ or 29x2.4, while the ADV is a 29+ bike. The ADV has a slightly longer top tube. The regular Beyond plus is a drop bar bike and I think maxs out at 29x2.1?

2901 - 2920 of 2950 Posts