Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I go out for a ride with tourons I am looking for a statement that best describes the ride of the day. Today was supposed to be an extra special ride that I promised the two Canadian super riders to. That ride was to be on Damifino, which on the best day would be considered very difficult. Throw in ice and snow and you have pushed the ride experience up from very difficult to "I am way over my head".

I just happens that I gave a last minute invitation to another rider (from Spokanne) that I met on the Christmas ride. He was driving east on Hwy 89A when I was headed to the Damifino hook-up spot. I told this potential additional rider I was riding the Damifino trail and if he wanted to tag along with his Tuner 5 spot he was welcome to join us.

From Sunday’s Christmas ride I knew that he was a good rider on a stupid ride, but I had not ridden with him on scary ride yet. He looked old enough to have good judgment, so I wasn't overly concerned about how he would handle the more technical sections.

As it turned out the Canadian's kicked butt on the techy Cow Pies Section and I stayed back to make sure the Spokane rider made it to the saddle OK.

When we got to the special World Class climbing section I gave my Pink Jeep speech about how there was only one line up the slickrock face and as usual my local riding buddy just rolled his eyes back when I got done talking. After being the only one to clean the climb w/o dabbing I felt that I had done my best to represent the AARP riding club.

Once we made it up to the saddle we all took a break and actually got a chance to take a picture of the group before being thrown into the most difficult section of the ride. At this point the Spokanne rider announced to me that "I think I am getting way over my head". I couldn't disagree with him because in the best conditions when I ride this section of trail I feel I am way over my riding ability.

I wish I had gotten some pictures of the next 3/4 mile of trail, but my thoughts were more of a survival nature rather than the picture-taking mode.

Once we got down off the super slippery section we cutover to Brew Pub and over to Lavitra. Brew Pub was rather covered with snow and somewhat mushy. Lavitra was south facing so it was in pretty good shape and 99% rideable.

At the bottom of Casner the Canadian's asked for the fastest way back to their car. They were tired of riding so slow that they wanted to get to Phoenix and be able to ride fast on less technical trails. Giving them their wish I pointed to Hwy. 89A, which was 50 yards uphill and wished them a fun ride down 89A.

The rest of us rode the normal route to Medley Bridge up Wilson to Jim Thompson to Birdcage to JT to Jordan to Power House Plunge to Grand Central to Burger King for a $1.10 Whopper Junior. and then to the spa for a steam bath and Jacuzzi.

TD

Attachments

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
traildoc said:
Whenever I go out for a ride with tourons I am looking for a statement that best describes the ride of the day. Today was supposed to be an extra special ride that I promised the two Canadian super riders to. That ride was to be on Damifino, which on the best day would be considered very difficult. Throw in ice and snow and you have pushed the ride experience up from very difficult to "I am way over my head".

I just happens that I gave a last minute invitation to another rider (from Spokanne) that I met on the Christmas ride. He was driving east on Hwy 89A when I was headed to the Damifino hook-up spot. I told this potential additional rider I was riding the Damifino trail and if he wanted to tag along with his Tuner 5 spot he was welcome to join us.

From Sunday’s Christmas ride I knew that he was a good rider on a stupid ride, but I had not ridden with him on scary ride yet. He looked old enough to have good judgment, so I wasn't overly concerned about how he would handle the more technical sections.

As it turned out the Canadian's kicked butt on the techy Cow Pies Section and I stayed back to make sure the Spokane rider made it to the saddle OK.

When we got to the special World Class climbing section I gave my Pink Jeep speech about how there was only one line up the slickrock face and as usual my local riding buddy just rolled his eyes back when I got done talking. After being the only one to clean the climb w/o dabbing I felt that I had done my best to represent the AARP riding club.

Once we made it up to the saddle we all took a break and actually got a chance to take a picture of the group before being thrown into the most difficult section of the ride. At this point the Spokanne rider announced to me that "I think I am getting way over my head". I couldn't disagree with him because in the best conditions when I ride this section of trail I feel I am way over my riding ability.

I wish I had gotten some pictures of the next 3/4 mile of trail, but my thoughts were more of a survival nature rather than the picture-taking mode.

Once we got down off the super slippery section we cutover to Brew Pub and over to Lavitra. Brew Pub was rather covered with snow and somewhat mushy. Lavitra was south facing so it was in pretty good shape and 99% rideable.

At the bottom of Casner the Canadian's asked for the fastest way back to their car. They were tired of riding so slow that they wanted to get to Phoenix and be able to ride fast on less technical trails. Giving them their wish I pointed to Hwy. 89A, which was 50 yards uphill and wished them a fun ride down 89A.

The rest of us rode the normal route to Medley Bridge up Wilson to Jim Thompson to Birdcage to JT to Jordan to Power House Plunge to Grand Central to Burger King for a $1.10 Whopper Junior. and then to the spa for a steam bath and Jacuzzi.

TD
Great story TD, god is in the details. If not your chosen title, might I suggest "$1.10 Whopper Junior".

Munging into your xmas photos thread, I have none of anything gnar or spectacular but I do have this one below.

It made my weekend. along with making the Chutes and everything but the last right turn on Yuri's Folley out at PMP. must run now, the siren's song of ham and cookies is calling me.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chollaball said:
Great story TD, god is in the details. If not your chosen title, might I suggest "$1.10 Whopper Junior".

Munging into your xmas photos thread, I have none of anything gnar or spectacular but I do have this one below.

It made my weekend. along with making the Chutes and everything but the last right turn on Yuri's Folley out at PMP. must run now, the siren's song of ham and cookies is calling me.
CB:

Great picture,.thanks for sharing it with us.

TD

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Mushaboom

traildoc said:
Jeebus, they came all that way from the Great White North and didn't even stay to get the finest from the King - the "Bacon Double Cheeseburger?"

Damn Canadians...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey, that's me in the center of the picture smiling.
I have cultivated an ability to walk stuff that I deem unrideable by me. We rode out on slick rock and crossed over several seeps. I wasn't sure about the required friction. A slip would have been injurious and an exciting extraction. I walk because of me and nothing against the Spot.
TrailDoc as a NOD is a very accomplished rider.
Thanks TrailDoc for making my 4 days of Sedona riding special.
JP

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
JP Nuts said:
Hey, that's me in the center of the picture smiling.
I have cultivated an ability to walk stuff that I deem unrideable by me. We rode out on slick rock and crossed over several seeps. I wasn't sure about the required friction. A slip would have been injurious and an exciting extraction. I walk because of me and nothing against the Spot.
TrailDoc as a NOD is a very accomplished rider.
Thanks TrailDoc for making my 4 days of Sedona riding special.
JP
JP:

Thanks for the kind words. I was fnice meeting someone else who has their so called values in order. As long as we THINK we are happy and enjoying the AD that's all that is important to us at the moment.

I wish we could have gotten some pictures of us doing the steam bath and jacuzzi thing to share with the MTBR's, it would have demonstrated how two old farts who came together through a mountan biking ride are living the dream on a minimal budget.

Good Luck to you as your adventure unfolds.

Where are the pictures of the Sunday MBH ride on Ledge 'n' Airy? Did you know we had a World Champion bicyclist in our group?

TD

Attachments

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
traildoc said:
That's impressive doc. That offcamber zig zag move up and across the "white band" always gets me. And that bit of singletrack toward the top is pretty steep. Must be the DW-link on the firebird:p

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rockman said:
That's impressive doc. That offcamber zig zag move up and across the "white band" always gets me. And that bit of singletrack toward the top is pretty steep. Must be the DW-link on the firebird:p
Rocky:

I do believe the Firebird is very efficent at climbing and that pictured climb I believe is a good spot to test its climbing characteristic. That being said I have done the climb often enough that I realize there is really only one line that I am able to do, but I have seen Chewy type rides make it up other sections.

Likewise I have seen much better climbers than myself get off line and not be able to correct their climb to make it above the upper limestone layer.

I am sure as I get older I will get to the point of not being able to make the climb anymore maybe that will be the point to opt for an ebike.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rockman said:
Rocky:

I do believe the Firebird is very efficent at climbing and that pictured climb I believe is a good spot to test its climbing characteristic. That being said I have done the climb often enough that I realize there is really only one line that I am able to do, but I have seen Chewy type rides make it up other sections.

Likewise I have seen much better climbers than myself get off line and not be able to correct their climb to make it above the upper limestone layer.

I am sure as I get older I will get to the point of not being able to make the climb anymore maybe that will be the point to opt for an ebike.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts