Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the author of "Mountain Biking the Mendocino Coast and Beyond", I will offer two days of guiding in the JDSF w/up to 25 miles/day to the first five individuals who donate $250 or more to "Save the Jackson'' and the MendocinoTrailStewards.org campaign. A weekend date will be determined once we receive five donations.

This is what to expect and more (Photo credit: Saris Mercanti -IBIS):
Bicycle Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle

If this is a successful fundraising, I will have a second weekend to guide another five grateful folks. We will hit some of the best uphill/downhill riding in the country. Plus, a first hand look at how our forest has been mismanaged.

An example:
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Natural landscape Tree

I want visitors to see what we hold near and dear in our hearts without getting lost or constantly looking at Trail-Forks for directions! The preservation of the JDSF as a forest Reserve is worth fighting for!

Please footnote your donation to say: "$250 or more donated for two days of guiding in the JDSF!"

To send a TAX deductible donation see:
Contact & Donate - MTS Newsletter for Jackson Forest Users (mendocinotrailstewards.org)

Thank you,
Roo Harris
Little River, CA

·
Ride, Race, Live
311 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He bought two, because he wants to do 50 miles a day. :)
Man, oh man, I wouldn't have the legs for two days of 50 miles each. Most I've ridden this summer has been 34 miles in one day w/ 3,800'. Took the next two days off! I guess I'm getting older now and feeling it more.

We have now raised $1,000 in less than 12 hours. I am so blown away by how generous this great biking community is towards our cause to save the Jackson!

THANK YOU ALL!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Due to the fact I have been informed by CAL-Fire the need to be permitted for this guiding event, I am now canceling the opportunity for such an event. It is too costly to obtain a permit w/ $100 application fee, a $400 fee for a two day event w/ 0 to 50 people and proof of $1,000,000 insurance naming CAL-FIRE for it's protection. This would eat into the bulk of what we have raised. If I do not comply, I am threatened with a citation. I am therefore rescinding this offer. I will be refunding the donations in the immediate future.

Thank you all for your support in our quest to preserve Jackson Demonstration State Forest.

Roo

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi Roo,

What if you keep the donations and I will offer my time to ride with folks on a 25 to 50 mile ride through Henry Coe State Park instead? ;)

Actually, 50 miles in Coe is more of a punishment than an incentive, but some people enjoy the suffering...

·
Registered
my hair crawled away
562 Posts
Due to the fact I have been informed by CAL-Fire the need to be permitted for this guiding event, I am now canceling the opportunity for such an event. It is too costly to obtain a permit w/ $100 application fee, a $400 fee for a two day event w/ 0 to 50 people and proof of $1,000,000 insurance naming CAL-FIRE for it's protection
Anyway around RULES? How about I ride with you as a friend and I decide to donate to the non-profit on my own?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Roo,

What if you keep the donations and I will offer my time to ride with folks on a 25 to 50 mile ride through Henry Coe State Park instead? ;)

Actually, 50 miles in Coe is more of a punishment than an incentive, but some people enjoy the suffering...
You are a good soul to offer this. I'm overwhelmed with your outpouring of support for saving the JDSF from commercial logging practices. How about you do your ride and raise tips for MTS and the Save The Jackson" campaign. GO here
for any and all Tax deductible contributions to help us:
Contact & Donate — MTS Newsletter for Jackson Forest Users (mendocinotrailstewards.org)

But, we must return all donations and re-group. The forestry management for CAL-FIRE and JDSF is in turmoil at the moment Most likely they will not meet the expected monetary quota on redwoods this year. Recently, another harvest, the Soda THP was shut down in the eastern sector of the JDSF. CAL-FIRE is upping the ante and is sending notices out to me as well as others in our community. Initially, it would have been fruitful for all if only Mike Powers, then manager of JDSF, had been better at listening to the community's concerns. No compromise, full speed ahead tactics that is sabotaging them at the moment.

This is a good fight. Something to brace our backs against for these trees. When you bearhug an old redwood, your soul becomes part of Mother Earth.

Best,
Riding pantheism

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyway around RULES? How about I ride with you as a friend and I decide to donate to the non-profit on my own?
Thank you. Exactly. We're re-grouping at the moment, while sending all donations back. Back to zero is a way of re-galvanizing our fund raising efforts. It's a well known starting point. Ah, the perils of fund raising for a "Worthy Cause!"

So it goes beyond the rides. These trees are asking for a voice until a compromise can be agreed upon by all interested parties. Currently, we're asking for a two year moratorium on all THP's in the JDSF. I want my effort to save the Jackson to be above board. Donations for providing a service for a charitable cause? I am not receiving a thing from this except: the fun of showing off "our" forest. I can see doing so with a random group of guys (no more than 5) to have an amazing forestry tour with some of the best trails in the country type of experience. So random guys get creative!

Contact & Donate — MTS Newsletter for Jackson Forest Users (mendocinotrailstewards.org)

Any legal advice welcomed.

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
Due to the fact I have been informed by CAL-Fire the need to be permitted for this guiding event, I am now canceling the opportunity for such an event. It is too costly to obtain a permit w/ $100 application fee, a $400 fee for a two day event w/ 0 to 50 people and proof of $1,000,000 insurance naming CAL-FIRE for it's protection. This would eat into the bulk of what we have raised. If I do not comply, I am threatened with a citation. I am therefore rescinding this offer. I will be refunding the donations in the immediate future.

Thank you all for your support in our quest to preserve Jackson Demonstration State Forest.

Roo
While I don't necessarily agree with all your positions, I think this is utter BS by CAL-Fire. It appears to be for no other reason than to backdoor block your fundraising efforts. Accordingly, I have made a small donation to the MTS (I would do more, but am waiting for some lagging clients to pay their bills). Debate is good: State run entities using their police powers to attempt to quash those who advocate contrary viewpoints is deplorable.

Reactions: Entrenador

·
Registered
428 Posts
While I don't necessarily agree with all your positions, I think this is utter BS by CAL-Fire. It appears to be for no other reason than to backdoor block your fundraising efforts. Accordingly, I have made a small donation to the MTS (I would do more, but am waiting for some lagging clients to pay their bills). Debate is good: State run entities using their police powers to attempt to quash those who advocate contrary viewpoints is deplorable.
From what I understand, this isn't directed specifically at Roo. It's a park wide policy (could even be a statewide park mandate, but I don't know for sure) and was why an earlier attempt by other folks who created a company to lead guided group rides up there had to shut down.

I agree, kinda stupid policy, but seems like the rule/law is being equally enforced.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree that the perception of Cal Fire enforcing these rules has a bad appearance given the circumstances. I myself was married on JDSF and applied for, paid for, and received the special use permit and insurance as required by Cal Fire.

If recreation is to be the intended future primary use of the state forest (as the Mendocino Trail Stewards would have it) than those using it as an area to recreate should be expected to follow the rules and should expect to pay some kind of fee if there are no other sources of income (i.e. timber harvest). So far as I can tell, the Mendocino Trail Stewards have done nothing to discourage illegal activity on JDSF which they have in part elicited. Activity in the form of knowingly entering closed areas and interfering with logging operations, endangering themselves and the loggers. I am all for the sharing of opinions and peaceful protest but I think ignoring laws in order to thwart legally approved timber harvest plans, or to further any cause is quite frankly appalling.

In reading the posts, following the local news, and reading the social media of some of the groups calling for change, I can't help but feel this is an argument made by JDSF neighbors which has periodically evolved to include whatever hot button environmental issue can remotely be applied to avoid logging near their homes or trails. I understand the aversion to this as well but this isn't sprung on anyone. It is the forests mandate to do such activities (its in the name, Jackson DEMONSTRATION State Forest) and has been since its inception in 1948. It seems like if the issue is made into an environmental issue (I'm not saying I don't believe in Global Warming) rather than a "not in my back yard issue", the proponents can garner support from people who are out of the area. This is frustrating as a local because people from out of the area may not know the true situation. As a forester who regularly recreates on JDSF, I see very well managed, in fact some of the best managed forests in Mendocino County. Sure harvests aren't pretty in the years immediately following (unless you understand what it can mean for the residual stand) but there are a lot of benefits to active forest management if you truly do the research. There's a reason JDSF looks the way it does and a reason people want to hang out there and it's not because it's been wholly mismanaged for the last 70 years under Cal Fire.

Again, all due respect to Roo.

·
Registered
my hair crawled away
562 Posts
I agree that the perception of Cal Fire enforcing these rules has a bad appearance given the circumstances. I myself was married on JDSF and applied for, paid for, and received the special use permit and insurance as required by Cal Fire.

If recreation is to be the intended future primary use of the state forest (as the Mendocino Trail Stewards would have it) than those using it as an area to recreate should be expected to follow the rules and should expect to pay some kind of fee if there are no other sources of income (i.e. timber harvest). So far as I can tell, the Mendocino Trail Stewards have done nothing to discourage illegal activity on JDSF which they have in part elicited. Activity in the form of knowingly entering closed areas and interfering with logging operations, endangering themselves and the loggers. I am all for the sharing of opinions and peaceful protest but I think ignoring laws in order to thwart legally approved timber harvest plans, or to further any cause is quite frankly appalling.

In reading the posts, following the local news, and reading the social media of some of the groups calling for change, I can't help but feel this is an argument made by JDSF neighbors which has periodically evolved to include whatever hot button environmental issue can remotely be applied to avoid logging near their homes or trails. I understand the aversion to this as well but this isn't sprung on anyone. It is the forests mandate to do such activities (its in the name, Jackson DEMONSTRATION State Forest) and has been since its inception in 1948. It seems like if the issue is made into an environmental issue (I'm not saying I don't believe in Global Warming) rather than a "not in my back yard issue", the proponents can garner support from people who are out of the area. This is frustrating as a local because people from out of the area may not know the true situation. As a forester who regularly recreates on JDSF, I see very well managed, in fact some of the best managed forests in Mendocino County. Sure harvests aren't pretty in the years immediately following (unless you understand what it can mean for the residual stand) but there are a lot of benefits to active forest management if you truly do the research. There's a reason JDSF looks the way it does and a reason people want to hang out there and it's not because it's been wholly mismanaged for the last 70 years under Cal Fire.

Again, all due respect to Roo.
Mr. law and order makes a statement. Some laws are meant to be broken , our system is not perfect. Why do you think there are protest around the usa and world? Because the laws are not just.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.