Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been neglecting my Surly 1x1 over the past week. That's because I've just brought new life to the bike I first got when I started riding about a year and a half ago. It's an entry-level Gary Fisher Advance. It never quite worked very well, and had some rather terrible components to it. At my last tune-up at the shop (I get free tune-ups at the shop for three years, so why not), they told me that my front derailleur was about to give up the ghost. So during a ride with a buddy of mine, we chatted about the issue, and naturally decided that I would give the whole bike a drivetrain overhaul (duh!).

New SRAM X.7 shifters, new derailleurs (XT front and X.7rear), new chain, new cassette, new ISIS bottom bracket, new FSA crankset. I was a clever shopper, so I scored some sweet deals. It was an exciting new project. And I got it done midweek this week. And I've been riding it every day since. It's like I bought myself a brand new bike!

And each time after riding, I park the bike right next to the Surly. And I feel wracked with guilt that I'm having so much fun on my overhauled bike.

I feel so dirty.

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Sick 'em Matt!

Guys, lets let the student learn. Right now he's somewhere between step 4 and step 7 of "The Ten Phases of Singlespeeding" I referred to earlier. He'll come out of this illusion that multiple gears is better soon enough. Especially as soon as the snow and rains hit.

Obione

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure I'm of the mind that "multiple gears is better". I've got a few bikes - all of which are different - that I use for different occasions. Gearie full-susser, gearie hardtail, singlespeed hardtail for dirt, singlespeed for road.

I think this came about because I was riding the Surly so much that I felt like my first ever MTB was being neglected. It came with crap parts and felt that I could rejuvenate the ride by upgrading the drivetrain. And what an upgrade that's been!

I'll probably get my ya-yas out on this gearie hardtail for the next few weeks or so, then find myself completely unable to live with myself with this shameless adultery and go right back to the Surly.

All this clickety-click nonsense with the thumbs and stuff is a lot of work anyhow.

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Yes it is. Now FOCUS.

I can hear the Surly begging to be a fixie offroader for a while now. Just do it. And she needs a butchered Brooks B17, black pleez. I've a nice set of used Midge bars for ya. Big heavy tires too.

You've been a bad bad boy. Cue Marley's "Redemption Song" and you'll be complete.

"All this clickety-click nonsense with the thumbs and stuff is a lot of work anyhow."

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Black Brooks B17 saddle? Got it. On*One Midge handlebars? Got it. Fortunately, both of them are on my 'cross-use singlespeed. Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em. I'm going to need bigger plums before I try the fixie route.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I revived my first MTB recently, but it's rebirth is that of a commuter. It has slicks and 24 gears. I have used 3 of those gears in the past two months riding it to work and school. My Surly 1x1 is all I need for riding in the dirt. You will get past this temporary setback, you'll see.

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
I think you'll be ok. The plums'll get bigger with a good smackin'....come on over and I'll help ya out little brother.

I just WANT TO RIDE.....messed up my back two weeks ago doing the "920 lb. dead lift". Plenty of time to make me Brooks saddles all look like Brooks Swallow saddles and stuff.

SpinWheelz said:
Black Brooks B17 saddle? Got it. On*One Midge handlebars? Got it. Fortunately, both of them are on my 'cross-use singlespeed. Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em. I'm going to need bigger plums before I try the fixie route.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.