Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so here is the thing. I'm 16 years old and don't have a job anymore. i use to teach guitar, but i don't anymore. I got like $1100 sitting in the bank. My current rig is a 04 of 05, can't remember the year, specialized hardrock pro. its much to heavy and far too beefy for a xc race bike. i want to keep it for an urban/trails/dj bike and would like to get a new/used xc bike for the 06 season. i was going to buy a gt i drive off ebay for 550 that was decent. i was going to put a different fork on it and use it for my race bike. then my dad decided he wouldn't let me buy it....idk why becuase it was his idea that i buy it, but now i think it was cause i've never even sat on one before. so what are some bikes i could get new or used that would make a great xc bike and would be good for racing. i've been looking at these. oh and i'm undecided between hardtail or full suspension. i live in indiana so i don't really need more then 4" of suspenion. i would like to spend no more then...umm 700 unless its a real good deal...so my options are limited already...but please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iron horse warrio race...a new one
GT i drive...of some sort...i prefer disk brakes though
cannondale lefty...i've seen a few for good prices on ebay
idk..i can't think of all the things i've considered right now.

so if anyone has any reccomondations on what i should be looking at and am able to get with my broke a$$ budget i would appreciate it!!!!!!!

ps. don't tell me to get a job either...i don't have time for a job...well i could put off school, but then my parents would kill me. and if i had a job what little time i do have to ride would be gone.

thanks!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
You're young go HT

Since you're only 16, I'd go with a new HT. You could get a really nice used racing rig for 1100. If you are short on cabbage then just make sure you get one that fits, I think fit is the most important thing. If you try and pick up a used FS for 1100, you'll just be disappointed or settle for something older and outmoded by the new designs. You can probably pick up an 8000 series trek, f1000 or 2000 cannondale, nice giant xtc, specialized stumpjumper m5 or something similar for that price.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
chruby99 said:
Santa Clause is comming to town. Have you been a good boy this year?
haha yes i've been a good boy so i'm getting a new trainer and some crank brother candy sl pedals. plus they just bought me my hardrock mabye 4 or 5months ago so its up to me on this bike.

·
Hup, Hup
536 Posts
Spam

ibanezrg520kid said:
Okay so here is the thing. I'm 16 years old and don't have a job anymore. i use to teach guitar, but i don't anymore. I got like $1100 sitting in the bank. My current rig is a 04 of 05, can't remember the year, specialized hardrock pro. its much to heavy and far too beefy for a xc race bike. i want to keep it for an urban/trails/dj bike and would like to get a new/used xc bike for the 06 season. i was going to buy a gt i drive off ebay for 550 that was decent. i was going to put a different fork on it and use it for my race bike. then my dad decided he wouldn't let me buy it....idk why becuase it was his idea that i buy it, but now i think it was cause i've never even sat on one before. so what are some bikes i could get new or used that would make a great xc bike and would be good for racing. i've been looking at these. oh and i'm undecided between hardtail or full suspension. i live in indiana so i don't really need more then 4" of suspenion. i would like to spend no more then...umm 700 unless its a real good deal...so my options are limited already...but please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iron horse warrio race...a new one
GT i drive...of some sort...i prefer disk brakes though
cannondale lefty...i've seen a few for good prices on ebay
idk..i can't think of all the things i've considered right now.

so if anyone has any reccomondations on what i should be looking at and am able to get with my broke a$$ budget i would appreciate it!!!!!!!

ps. don't tell me to get a job either...i don't have time for a job...well i could put off school, but then my parents would kill me. and if i had a job what little time i do have to ride would be gone.

thanks!!!
There are quite a few members that are selling bikes that may fit your needs. I happen to have a few for sale right now. PM or E-Mail me if you are interested.

I agree that working too much takes away from saddle time and that's just not cool

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
get sponsored

My advice would be not to buy a new bike right now. If you're serious about racing, then serious training will get you a lot farther then a new bike. Continue riding your Hardrock. Train hard this winter and spring. Put some slick tires during the soggy season and use that trainer you got, work on a smooth spin. Bundle up and hit the road, perhaps even try to tag onto some group road rides. Maybe hit some weights. Get some books from the library about racing and training.

Then, get yourself sponsored. Most teams are actively seeking junior racers. You can try to contact some teams before the season starts. If that fails, just show up to the first couple of races, post some good results on your old bike and start talking to some folks who are on some teams. Make some connections and I'm sure you'll be sponsored in no time. Then you can get a great sponsorship deal on a new bike or perhaps get a nice used bike for cheap or free from older teammates. In short, you can get a much better bike then you can afford right now for much less money this way. All you have to do is work hard and wait a few months.

And as for the type, as others have said, go with a hardtail. It's cheaper and you'll learn to be a smoother rider. Plus there aren't many courses in IN where a FS bike would be an advantage... except for Linton... owch.

·
Big ring = No chainsuck
446 Posts
FishMan473 said:
My advice would be not to buy a new bike right now. If you're serious about racing, then serious training will get you a lot farther then a new bike. Continue riding your Hardrock. Train hard this winter and spring. Put some slick tires during the soggy season and use that trainer you got, work on a smooth spin. Bundle up and hit the road, perhaps even try to tag onto some group road rides. Maybe hit some weights. Get some books from the library about racing and training.

Then, get yourself sponsored. Most teams are actively seeking junior racers. You can try to contact some teams before the season starts. If that fails, just show up to the first couple of races, post some good results on your old bike and start talking to some folks who are on some teams. Make some connections and I'm sure you'll be sponsored in no time. Then you can get a great sponsorship deal on a new bike or perhaps get a nice used bike for cheap or free from older teammates. In short, you can get a much better bike then you can afford right now for much less money this way. All you have to do is work hard and wait a few months.

And as for the type, as others have said, go with a hardtail. It's cheaper and you'll learn to be a smoother rider. Plus there aren't many courses in IN where a FS bike would be an advantage... except for Linton... owch.
I wish it worked this way - it dosn't, at least not where I live (NC). It takes a long time to get anywhere with sponsors. I've raced for 2 years now (I'm 17), I spent my first year in the junior cat., won a few races, then moved up to Jr. X this past year, won a few races, and I'm no closer to a free bike now than I was last year.

Get a used HT WITHOUT discs, a good fork and wheels are the most important things to get.

I also second the road riding thing - It will help more than you can imagine.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
FishMan473 said:

hey man u from indiana? if so sometime we should go riding at town runt rail park if your ever around there. anyways, yeah i know that training is much more important. i already do lots of spinning and i ride road to get stronger. i'm pretty good at spinning in circles smoothly...thanks to my trusty rollers! I've been bundling up and hitting the trails!! not too bad of riding...but my cables froze up on me cause they had water in them so i had some trouble with that once, but oh well it was fun! i'm not looking for sponsor ship till i find out how good i really am compared to others....so well see about that but it would be nice to get sponsored by a shop for a discount on clothes.

i think that a hardtail would be the way to go more than likely. i know my hardrock will do fine race its just a really heavy bike that has done me well on urban assult, but just seems like extra dead weight though. mabye a cannondale headshock...anyone know about those? i think they are ugly as sin, but i've heard good things about them and i wouldn't mind one in the yellow team sobe paint either!!

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
ibanezrg520kid said:
hey man u from indiana?
I used to live in Champaign IL, so I've done a few DINO Races and quite a few collegiate races in IN too. Kickapoo was my main stomping grounds. Now I've moved on up to Flagstaff, AZ.

I hear what you're saying about the heavy bike, it looks like kind of a pig. But I still say its more the rider then the bike. Anyhow, you're that much more of a tough guy winning the race on the heavy, inexpensive bike, at least until you can get the bro deal on a good racing bike.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I say train all winter and wary about a new bike in the spring. Your best bet is to go to your local shop and get a part time job. That way you can get more bike for the money. And at your age you can be one of the few people in the industry that can afford to work in it.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Get a new stumpjumper.

Get yourself a race bike. A Stumpjumper, or perhaps a F600 Cannondale. Great flat out sport class race bikes. Throw on the slicks, and hit the road.

You will spend more going with a new bike, but you never know how involved in racing the shop is. Perhaps there is some help there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.