Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...

I am making the leap and I need your advice. I currently ride a Specialized Epic (26er) with rim brakes. I have a Niner One 9 frame in the mail. The one 9 is new to me in many ways.

Its my first 29er
its my first single speed
and it will be my first bike with disk brakes.

Here is where you guys come in. I have been trying to figure out the parts list to order for the frame (it is a size large).

1. Apparently with hydraulic disc brakes, I need to know the cable length for the brake lines when I buy them... anyone with a one 9 have this info?

2. Stem / bars. I have done bike fit calculators online, they tell me measurements about how far the bars should be from the seat... blah blah blah. I can measure my Epic too... But, I have never ridden a SS before. Should it fit different than an XC race bike? What about bars? Should they be swept, flat, riser ... I am a little shy of 6' tall. Can you suggest a stem length/angle, and or bars? I dont even know where to start to get the correct fit.

Thanks!

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
av_boy said:
Hi all...

I am making the leap and I need your advice. I currently ride a Specialized Epic (26er) with rim brakes. I have a Niner One 9 frame in the mail. The one 9 is new to me in many ways.

Its my first 29er

Here is where you guys come in. I have been trying to figure out the parts list to order for the frame (it is a size large).

1. Apparently with hydraulic disc brakes, I need to know the cable length for the brake lines when I buy them... anyone with a one 9 have this info?

2. Stem / bars. I have done bike fit calculators online, they tell me measurements about how far the bars should be from the seat... blah blah blah. I can measure my Epic too... But, I have never ridden a SS before. Should it fit different than an XC race bike? What about bars? Should they be swept, flat, riser ... I am a little shy of 6' tall. Can you suggest a stem length/angle, and or bars? I dont even know where to start to get the correct fit.

Thanks!
Most Avid brakes come around 850mm front & about 1380mm rear & fit most bikes.

The Niner flat bar is a good place to start its wider & has more sweep both are good on SS & with that bar & your height you won'tbe to far off with 90 or 100mm stem.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I recommend using a 180mm in the front and a 160mm in the rear. For 29ers it helps to increase the rotor size because the disc has to overcome the extra leverage of the bigger wheel. Since most of your stopping power is in the front, a bigger rotor in the back is overkill.

As far as stem and handlebars go, start by trying to match the combination of the top tube length and stem of your current bike. So for instance, if the top tube is longer on the Niner, use a shorter stem to compensate. (I agree with muzzanic - most likely at your height a large frame would be combined with a 90 or 100mm stem). I'd go with a flat handlebar with some sweep. The Niner bar is a good suggestion. I personally like the Salsa in an 11 degree bend and a 25.4 diameter. The smaller diameter seems to absorb shock a little better (I have a 31.8 on my RIP9 and it feels really freaking stiff, which some people might like).

·
Registered
681 Posts
av_boy said:
Hi all...

Its my first 29er

Thanks!
stem will prob be 110 for your height
some sweep on bars is nice and a little wider than 26 for leverage
160 rotors should be fine, juicy brakes aren't that powerful, the newer avid disc brakes are much stronger , my elixir 160 are a good bit stronger than my 180 ultimates
32-18 is a good starter gear
you will def want a setback seatpost due to the ebb
sram 8 speed chain
here is my original build, now have setback seatpost and ritchey 100mm stem.....i am 5'11 165

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=556786

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
suvowner said:
stem will prob be 110 for your height
some sweep on bars is nice and a little wider than 26 for leverage
160 rotors should be fine, juicy brakes aren't that powerful, the newer avid disc brakes are much stronger , my elixir 160 are a good bit stronger than my 180 ultimates
32-18 is a good starter gear
you will def want a setback seatpost due to the ebb
sram 8 speed chain
here is my original build, now have setback seatpost and ritchey 100mm stem.....i am 5'11 165

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=556786
This is why you don't ask people on bike forums for advice - you'll get lots of conflicting opinions. A 110mm stem would be too long for most people. I'm 6'1" tall and use a 100mm (flipped upside down with -6 degree rise) on my large SIR9. 32/18 is too hard of a gear unless you are mega strong or ride lots of flat sections - 32/20 is a better choice for hardcore mountain biking. A setback post is not necessary due to the EBB, that's just a preference thing. I do agree that the choice of brake can mitigate the need for a larger rotor. If you've got the money, I think a set of Formula Mega brakes would be sweet and would work fine with just the 160mm rotor. I also agree that SRAM 8 speed chains are the way to go for single speeds.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback so far guys... I am looking for tires now. I have found some old posts about One9 tires, but it appears to be dependent on which generation of One9 I have. The Ebay auction said this frame is an 07 or 08.... How can I tell which it is?

Here is a post from 06... http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=233139

Any ideas on good large volume tires that dont weigh a ton that will fit on the rear of this bike?

·
i don't give a shift
863 Posts
av_boy said:
The Ebay auction said this frame is an 07 or 08.... How can I tell which it is?
The gusset on the downtube indicates that the frame is an early 06 or even older frame. Those frames don't have as much tire clearance at the chainstays to run some of the big volume tires. One 9 frames after the summer of 06 no longer had the gusset and received a bent downtube. The chainstays were also redesigned for greater tire clearance.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's too bad. So, is that list of tires that the niner rep posted in 06 on the thread I linked in my previous post really my only options? Or will something like the racing Ralph 2.25 fit?

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
av_boy said:
That's too bad. So, is that list of tires that the niner rep posted in 06 on the thread I linked in my previous post really my only options? Or will something like the racing Ralph 2.25 fit?
You probably will be OK with a RR 2.25. However, if you are riding in sharp, pointy rock country, odds are that sooner or later, you'll slice a sidewall with a Racing Ralph, they are paper thin.

If it's loose, or muddy right now during winter and spring, consider a Conti Mountain King 2.2 for the rear. I'm positive that will fit. Run the 2.4 version in front this winter/spring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.