Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am an xc hardtail racer, I stand occasionally during climbing and acceleration. I do as well a little rough singletraks and would like to jump up to two feet. I am in a search for the right frame for me. In world championships the frames that take podium are the NRS, Epic and Scapel. I am aiming to one of those, although I heard problems of non active suspension during braking in the NRS and so on. Some recommended the Truth of Elethworth. The
Price is steep and I do not see this frame as the option of the big competitors such as Philip Muiroga.
So what to do?
Tanks for any assistance

Eyal

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Titus

The racer X is 25% or so cheaper than the Truth and more active under braking, you can order it as an 80 or 100mm travel frame and it comes in more sizes than the truth so it's more likely to fit you. A freind of mine has a scalpel and it is fast but it's a semi active designe dependant on the minimalist nature of it's suspension to be fast.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think you're going to have to prioritize jumping 2 feet vs XC racing...most XC races don't have jumps like this, and the suspension designs that will push you through an XC race will not accomodate that kind of jump. You could consider an all-mountain design like a Fuel EX, but realize that you will be sacrificing a bit of performance to accomodate for the obstacles.

That being said, all of the major brands will offer high-end, full suspension XC rigs. I don't think it matters much which one you're on, so long as you're comfortable. Absalon and Meirheghe would be champions regardless of the bikes they rode last year. Check your budget, take some test rides, and buy a bike. If you're racing, make sure it's light and comfortable, and have fun.

P.S.: I seem to recall Roland Green winning a World Cup on a Fuel not so long ago. ;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
trek fuel

hey, my friend is trying to sell his Large 2004 trek fuel 95 bike with full XT, king, thomson, easton, duke race etc upgrades. he paid $3600 including all upgrades, and he's only asking $1400. the catch is, he needs the money by 2pm EST today via paypal. interested? email him at [email protected]. I've ridden it and I think the Trek Fuel is a very worthy racebike. drop him a line or call him at 646-239-6027.

some pics here.
http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin...ts_format=long&query=retrieval&exact_match=on

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not do any jumping douring comp'

I wanted the option of small jumps for daily use but not specific for comp'

about the NRS dose the suspension lock doring brake pull?

Is the Truth really the Ideal Xc FS frame?

·
Registered
303 Posts
i would say the fuel would handle the drops/jumps better than the NRS. the NRS seems to be a very efficient racebike which just takes the edge off the ride. the fuel seems plusher. you should really consider my friend's fuel, as he specced it with a 4" Duke Race fork, which makes it much better to take drops and jumps as well. he used it for the same uses as you. xc-racing/trail-riding/some drops and jumps. perfectly specced. and at a crazy price too.

the truth seems cool, but I don't know whether all the hype and price is worth its weight. it seems slightly overrated. the fuel is a no-nonsense xc bike. many world championships have been won on the fuel as well, but as one of the other guys said, the bike hardly makes a difference for world champions. any one of them could win on any of the bikes.

·
The Ancient One
1,573 Posts
slowrider said:
The racer X is 25% or so cheaper than the Truth and more active under braking,
The Racer X is a good choice but the reverse is true about braking. The Truth's rear suspension will be more compliant and cling to the ground better through bumps when you're applying the rear brake.

The Truth is really a slightly heavier, longer travel version of the Turner Nitrous, which has been winning races under Geoff Kabush.

·
2,548 Posts
synkronized23 said:
i would say the fuel would handle the drops/jumps better than the NRS. .
I kind of doubt that statement - Fuels are NOT meant for 2 foot drops - sure, the occasional drop will happen, but they aren't meant for a steady diet of drops, plain and simple.....there have been more than a few whose frames have broken, and buying a used bike leaves one with no warranty support - Trek stands behind broken frames and will replace them free, but only for the original owner.

·
Saving lives with knives.
959 Posts
Ever consider a softail? I was riding a Pushed Y2k Jekyll, I considered getting a scalpel, and racer-x, but after riding one of my friends steel softail, I was sold. I think it was a KHS with 1" of travel. I seriously consider the Scalpel, but all the linkages made me a bit nervous. I opted for a Castellano Fango which has 1.25" via an elastomer which absorbs high frequency bumps way better than air/oil designs and only weighs 4.4 #s. Everyone I know who has gotten one has loved it. Mine should come in tomorrow!

·
Registered
121 Posts
iceaxe said:
Ever consider a softail? I was riding a Pushed Y2k Jekyll, I considered getting a scalpel, and racer-x, but after riding one of my friends steel softail, I was sold. I think it was a KHS with 1" of travel. I seriously consider the Scalpel, but all the linkages made me a bit nervous. I opted for a Castellano Fango which has 1.25" via an elastomer which absorbs high frequency bumps way better than air/oil designs and only weighs 4.4 #s. Everyone I know who has gotten one has loved it. Mine should come in tomorrow!
If I have one of those KHS STs and just recently got a burner because ST don't help at all on technical climbs. I'd say the effect is similar to running a low pressure 2.3 but w/o the rolling resistance on smoother trails, definately helps the endurance, but does nothing for technical climbs. Then again the Epic doesn't either.

·
Saving lives with knives.
959 Posts
Over all, I thought that bike out-climbed my jekyll no questions asked esp. on the steep & rocky...if that counts for anything. Neither the Epic nor the NRS are going to do anything for technical climbing, I haven't spent enough time on a scalpel to comment-- but most people I know who ride them say it helps, but they usually lock it out on the climbs. The burner/nitrous is another bike this guy should consider. I just got my Fango today; should have it built up by next weekend, so I will be able to offer better commentary on that later.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
This is exactly what I'm looking for as well. I'd probably get the Nitrous except for the fact that I exceed the weight limit (hey, no fat jokes OK?). ;)

I've been checking out the Iron Horse Azure. Should be for sale in the next few weeks.

Cheers!
-Ian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.