Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I am a believer ! ( new 29er owner )

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Ted_R 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone :)

I just bought my first 29er this past Saturday, rode it Sunday and was amazed. All the stuff I had been reading about their attributes came true for me on the trail.

I was riding in an area that had a little of everything I normally ride ( I tried it all ) and the bike performed wonderfully. Some of my general observations were:

1) Increased stability ( never felt like I was getting ready to go down, and I didn't ! )
2) Much more momentum ( didn't have to constantly pedal )
3) Cruises right through Rock Gardens ( embedded and loose )
a) This is important to me, I live close to the Texas hill country and it is beautiful but quite rocky.
4) Didn't feel nearly as beat up at the end of the ride. I rode for a 2 1/2 hours.
5) My legs hardly burned through the whole ride and yet I was tackling all the stuff I normally do, and at a quicker pace than usual.
6) Better traction in general

Man, was I stoked when I finished.

I decided I needed to share my exuberance with the 29er crowd. :)

Oh yeah !....the bike....heh.... it's a 2011 Trek/Gary Fisher Cobia.

Take Care Everyone :)

See less See more
Discussion starter · #21 ·
zenkem said:
OP, I to have recently converted to 29" and am totally stoked with the results. Here in Germany, the hills are endless and I feel much better on the climbs nor do I have to fight the bike on the downhill's to keep it on the trail (rides like it's on a rail)...Happy Trails!!!!
Glad your lovin it Zenkem :D The difference has to be felt to be believed doesn't it ? I am impatiently waiting for the weekend :)

Ted

Discussion starter · #19 ·
LyNx said:
Welcome Brother, services are held whenever you freaking feel like on any given trail ;) :D Yup, it's quite the experience for most, sure was an eye opener for me on my first ride. Don't forget to take the camera along sometime and snap some pics and if you ride with a group, enjoy being upfront now :D
Thanks for the warm welcome :D I appreciate it Bro :thumbsup:

Discussion starter · #16 ·
mattkock said:
Welcome to the Dark Side, I'll never go back! I've got some pretty nice 26er SingleSpeeds for sale. ;) I'll be at Walnut Creek on Saturday after the NAHBS on my Niner if you're around town.
Walnut Creek is in Austin right ? Enlighten me about some of the great Austin trails, I have never ridden Austin.

Thanks,

Ted :)

Discussion starter · #8 ·
4x4runner said:
i ride my FS 29er locked out and yet i own stuff that i could barely get with my 5in travel 26er
Amen, it's amazing what those big wheels will do for ya.

Discussion starter · #7 · (Edited)
D1PHAM said:
Another satisfied customer!!!! What were you riding before?
Hey D1P !

I am Very satisfied, 29ers Freakin Rock ! I was riding a Trek 3700 ( entry level hard tail ) . I decided it was time to step up to something more midrange in their aluminum frame line.

Ted

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Godless Communist said:
Awesome report! Which trails did you ride? There are lots of central Texans around here....
Hey GC !

I live in San Antonio and I was riding a local trail I am familiar with ( O P Schnabel ) . Glad to hear their are lots of fellow Texans here :) I should be up in the Hill country soon !

Ted

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.