Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone :)

I just bought my first 29er this past Saturday, rode it Sunday and was amazed. All the stuff I had been reading about their attributes came true for me on the trail.

I was riding in an area that had a little of everything I normally ride ( I tried it all ) and the bike performed wonderfully. Some of my general observations were:


1) Increased stability ( never felt like I was getting ready to go down, and I didn't ! )
2) Much more momentum ( didn't have to constantly pedal )
3) Cruises right through Rock Gardens ( embedded and loose )
a) This is important to me, I live close to the Texas hill country and it is beautiful but quite rocky.
4) Didn't feel nearly as beat up at the end of the ride. I rode for a 2 1/2 hours.
5) My legs hardly burned through the whole ride and yet I was tackling all the stuff I normally do, and at a quicker pace than usual.
6) Better traction in general


Man, was I stoked when I finished.

I decided I needed to share my exuberance with the 29er crowd. :)

Oh yeah !....the bike....heh.... it's a 2011 Trek/Gary Fisher Cobia.


Take Care Everyone :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,701 Posts
yeah i went from fs 26er to fs 29er and i'm even building a ht 29er just to feel more of the trail and get my climbs down. i ride my FS 29er locked out and yet i own stuff that i could barely get with my 5in travel 26er
 

·
bike rider
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
Welcome to the Dark Side, I'll never go back! I've got some pretty nice 26er SingleSpeeds for sale. ;) I'll be at Walnut Creek on Saturday after the NAHBS on my Niner if you're around town.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Godless Communist said:
Awesome report! Which trails did you ride? There are lots of central Texans around here....

Hey GC !

I live in San Antonio and I was riding a local trail I am familiar with ( O P Schnabel ) . Glad to hear their are lots of fellow Texans here :) I should be up in the Hill country soon !

Ted
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
D1PHAM said:
Another satisfied customer!!!! What were you riding before?


Hey D1P !


I am Very satisfied, 29ers Freakin Rock ! I was riding a Trek 3700 ( entry level hard tail ) . I decided it was time to step up to something more midrange in their aluminum frame line.



Ted
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4x4runner said:
i ride my FS 29er locked out and yet i own stuff that i could barely get with my 5in travel 26er


Amen, it's amazing what those big wheels will do for ya.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Welcome Brother, services are held whenever you freaking feel like on any given trail ;) :D Yup, it's quite the experience for most, sure was an eye opener for me on my first ride. Don't forget to take the camera along sometime and snap some pics and if you ride with a group, enjoy being upfront now :D
 

·
Fat & Single
Joined
·
4,120 Posts
Little freaky wheels look out of place now, we all ride 29s now and love them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
I guess you came from a 26??? From what I gather I take it the 29's are easier to ride and take less energy. If that's the case, why do they bother making 26's (ha)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Whoops, I missed this below post which answered one of my questions.

Ted_R said:
Hey D1P !


I am Very satisfied, 29ers Freakin Rock ! I was riding a Trek 3700 ( entry level hard trail ) . I decided it was time to step up to something more midrange in their aluminum frame line.



Ted

4x4runner said:
I'm not afraid to admit I don't know what that means (ha).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
DH=downhill. Lift access full speed flying down mountains. They're 26ers exclusively since 26 inch wheels get up to speed quicker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mattkock said:
Welcome to the Dark Side, I'll never go back! I've got some pretty nice 26er SingleSpeeds for sale. ;) I'll be at Walnut Creek on Saturday after the NAHBS on my Niner if you're around town.

Walnut Creek is in Austin right ? Enlighten me about some of the great Austin trails, I have never ridden Austin.


Thanks,

Ted :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
ryguy135 said:
DH=downhill. Lift access full speed flying down mountains. They're 26ers exclusively since 26 inch wheels get up to speed quicker.
4x4runner said:
and they're harder to fold like a taco :)
Lol, I see, good things to know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LyNx said:
Welcome Brother, services are held whenever you freaking feel like on any given trail ;) :D Yup, it's quite the experience for most, sure was an eye opener for me on my first ride. Don't forget to take the camera along sometime and snap some pics and if you ride with a group, enjoy being upfront now :D

Thanks for the warm welcome :D I appreciate it Bro :thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top