Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dumped the 11.2 mpg truck.
Opted for something a bit more "mom" and another 8-9mpg around town and 13mpg on the highway.....

So far, I can carry about 4 inside...
With people and the racks on + trailer hitch...figure I can carry about 6 people, 6 bikes, and their stuff at about 23mpg instead of 12.

nice.

·
Lost my signal...
98 Posts
Welcome to the club (though I have kids). :)

Well engineered, economical, practical, and more nimble than you'd expect. Nice indeed...

·
Maestro
80 Posts
Nice!

Nice Van!

Minivans are great bike haulers.

You can haul you stuff inside, safe and secure. You always have an air conditioned changing room with you.

I haul 5 bikes and riders with my minivan. All the weight makes it ride low which reduces the aerodynamic drag! LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Chrysler used to have AWD as an option. VW sells AWD vans in Europe... (Turbo diesel too! 37mpg in a van!) but apparently the minivan market in the US is tough. I head that both Ford and Chebby are dropping thier minivans entirely.

Az

·
Registered
540 Posts
No diesel for me. Hate everything about them. Rather support the local economy and burn E85 if I don't have plain old gas.

Yea, I don't blame ford or chevy for dropping minivans right now. Neither company makes a good one. Dodge, Toyota and Honda have that segment wrapped up tight.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Az Barber said:
Chrysler used to have AWD as an option. VW sells AWD vans in Europe... (Turbo diesel too! 37mpg in a van!) but apparently the minivan market in the US is tough. I head that both Ford and Chebby are dropping thier minivans entirely.

Az
diesel belongs in lorries and locomotives, not in a car.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
DocAltie said:
No diesel for me. Hate everything about them. Rather support the local economy and burn E85 if I don't have plain old gas.
Yep. Lots of uninformed 'round these parts. Ethanol IS NOT the great grand saviour we're all looking for. It doesn't burn as efficiently, requiring more of it, and it doesn't provide as much power for its given volume. Its production is also highly invovled, requiring LOTS of water(from already taxed aquifers). The corn used is being diverted from other uses like, oh, feeding our meat supplies, in turn eventually making meat more expensive. Then there's the fact that so much demand is being created for corn that we'll soon enter a monoculture state on the farms. This is also not good for production as single crosp deplete nutrients, where as multi-cripped fields replenish/recycle.

And to say that diesel isn't supporting the US market. Uh, look no further than bio-diesel. 100% made in the US. Burns cleaner and more efficiently than its oil based cousin. The BLUETEC engines from VW/Daimler Chrysler/Audi meet [and surpass] ALL emissions standards, from Cali to New York. The US would do well to embrace the diesel, IMO.

·
BLANK
14 Posts
"Everyone with a minivan please return your man-card immediately and place your testes in the bucket on the right, unless you're married and your wife has them in her purse already"

You could NEVER get me to drive a minivan no matter how economical or well engineered they are. I'm lucky my wife hates them too!

·
Registered
47 Posts
ALX said:
You could NEVER get me to drive a minivan no matter how economical or well engineered they are. I'm lucky my wife hates them too!
So what you're saying is that no matter how much practical sense it may make, you will always take the most stylish route? Sounds like a traditional feminine point of view to me.

The real men on this forum are the ones that can think for themselves and don't tie thier identities to thier automobiles. We find a tool most suited for the job and could care less what Madison Ave or other folks think.

But hey. To each his own.

Az

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.