Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after a long wait my I-9 wheelset finally showed up. WOW, simply beautiful, I'd consider them to be art. Red hubs, .090 red spokes and the new DT 4.2 rims, in a lefty configuration they came in at 1510g/pair. That's not too bad, only 100g heavier than my Stan's 355's, hopefully they will hold up better and require less fuss. The almost instant engagement is cool too. Can't wait to get them on the singletrack... Mike

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Would you mind sharing a bit more info on your bad 355 experience? I'm getting the new Arch soon which is the same as the 355 with a reinforcement so I'm interested in your comments...

Ho, and a pic of your bike with the new wheels would be sweet! :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't say my experience with the 355's was/is bad... I ride pretty gnarly rocky rooty stuff and am pretty agressive, drops to 2', and weight 160#. The wheels are very light at 1400g and the feeling that gives on the bike is awesome. They are still running, but they require quite a bit of work. They are fairly flexy, and I have to true them about once a week (50 miles). I think they would make a great race wheelset, but for my personal riding they just require too much work. According to I-9 the new wheelset should hold up better and require less attention... verdict still out... Mike

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Oh so sweet. those are about a pound and a half lighter than what i have!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First ride impressions, are very good. I can feel they are stiffer than the 355's. I set them up tubeless with Stan's yellow tape and a Bontrager valvestem with removable core and mounted a Kenda Klimax Lite UST tire with Stan's sealant. Mounted easily without irons, and aired right up. At 32psi (which is what I normally run) they will burp easier than the same tire at the same psi on the Stan's 355's. I hit the singletrack with 36psi with no issues, I will try 32psi next. The 6 pawl is awesome, noticed it hopping over logs, it goes instantly, no hard clunck when you get back on the gas. The free hub runs quiet, but on a fast downhill it makes a zinging sound that just plain sounds fast... Mike

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Awesome wheelset WW, I'm waiting for mine to ship.......Jeff at I-9 had a set of 4.2's laced to Enduro hubs for me......(going on a motolite...so wanted T/A option for future....). I went with red hubs and silver spokes......Jeff talked me out of .9 spokes as I'm pushing 195 with gear.........congrats......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.