Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
KEEP ROLLING
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the nomad you can have a coil with a 8.5" i 2 i and 2.8 stroke. You can also go for 8.75" i 2 i and 2.8 stroke which will give you more travel. Does any body here know if going to the 8.75" will effect the climbing or any other abilities of the nomad and how much will this change the geometry of the nomad ?

PS: Thanks for the tip/info Grex !!! :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
it doesn't sound like going from an 8.5/2.8 to an 8.75/2.8 would change your travel at all...your rear wheel is still going to move the same amount, it would prob raise the head angle less than a degree, and raise the bottom bracket a fraction of an inch....also raising the seat angle i would imagine....but still, very slightly....but if both shocks have the same stroke, i'm 99% sure you wont be getting any more travel out of the deal....

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
congarong said:
On the nomad you can have a coil with a 8.5" i 2 i and 2.8 stroke. You can also go for 8.75" i 2 i and 2.8 stroke which will give you more travel. Does any body here know if going to the 8.75" will effect the climbing or any other abilities of the nomad and how much will this change the geometry of the nomad ?

PS: Thanks for the tip/info Grex !!! :)
Not sure about how much more travel it'll have w/8.75 shock, (too lazy to do the math:rolleyes: ), but I do know SC is sending some Nomads out w/8.75 shocks per the customers request. I am waiting on hard ware to come in from Cane Creek to mount the 8.75 CCDB off of my VP Free frame, to my Nomad. Should be here this week. I figger it'll raise the bb a bit, not too much I hope. I don't think it'll hurt climbing at all, but that's my opinion based on my knowledge of the way the CCDB rides.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
A 2.75 stroke will yield about 7.1"-7.2". It will raise the BB and slightly steepen the headangle. I don't think I'd use an 8.75 X 2.75 shock on my Nomad unless I was running at least a 170mm fork...but that's me.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
TNC said:
A 2.75 stroke will yield about 7.1"-7.2". It will raise the BB and slightly steepen the headangle. I don't think I'd use an 8.75 X 2.75 shock on my Nomad unless I was running at least a 170mm fork...but that's me.
I can deal w/all of the above on mine, although I'd rather not raise th' bb if I had my way, but we deal w/what we got. Sorta like Rumsfeld told th' military, "you go to war w/what you got".

G

·
GTV8 said:
According to the Santa Cruz website the standard shock on the Nomad is 8.5" x 2.5" (216x 63mm) not 2.8".
True. You can't go off of what the Fox coil/spring indicates on it (2.8"), as it is always more than what the actual stroke of the shock is (2.5").

·
KEEP ROLLING
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what do i need below for this vivid to fit in my nomad ?

Rock Shox Vivid Threaded Spring Collar ?

Rock Shox Vivid Decal Kit ?

Rock Shox Vivid Spring Retainer ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.