Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think it is, but I was wondering if you can somehow run a rear hydraulic brake and still have a gyro/do barspins. I know you can run front hydraulic w/ gyro.

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
dirtyharry said:
I don't think it is, but I was wondering if you can somehow run a rear hydraulic brake and still have a gyro/do barspins. I know you can run front hydraulic w/ gyro.
just run a long hydro hose and unwind it or pre-wind the opposite way...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I figured. Couldn't you technically put a HUGE resevoir right behind (free of the headset and shorter than the handlebars) the stem and have a free-to-twist-around cable coming in the top from the lever and then a stationary one going to the brake?

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
It'd work with a second lever actuated by a gyro, the lever would have to be on a pivot point, and be able to produce the same amount of power. So, design wise, it would be do-able, but not only would this be costly, but there are moving parts to brake, more fluid is involved which is bad for the environment and you if there is a spill, plus, it would probably be crazy expensive.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
dirtyharry said:
That's what I figured. Couldn't you technically put a HUGE resevoir right behind (free of the headset and shorter than the handlebars) the stem and have a free-to-twist-around cable coming in the top from the lever and then a stationary one going to the brake?
I have no idea what you are talking about there.... but Hayes did in Fact produce a hybrid cable operated hydraulic disc brake caliper, for use with a V-brake lever. It was all cable (yes, could be used with a gyro if pull was sufficient), but had a hydraulic slave cylinder on the caliper that compressed the pads (using cable pull instead of master cylinder). This was probably in the mid to late 90's, so don't expect that they work well, haha. but, I've seen some cheap, yet rare, on ebay, and thought of picking one up as an experiment... never did though...

that said... anybody watch pastrana's nitro circus movie series??? What did they do when the constructed the fmx bike to do barspins? I would like to see close-ups of how they constructed that giant gyro for the clutch cable, etc.!! :eek:

fiddy_ryder - do you ride 50's??? been meaning to ask you. I have some friends obsessed with it. ever seen the Yamaha Airtricker prototype? it can do barspins as well. sick little stunt bike.:thumbsup:

·
Too Kool for Skool
321 Posts
It is possible and people have already come up with a hydrolic gyro. It is expensive and impracticle for most people but they have made them. Let me dig up a pic.....

Ah here we go

Its that gold thingy if you cant tell :D

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, above my budget. The only reason I would ever do it was if I bought a Specialized P. Street, I could run REALLY powerful rim brakes (that bike ONLY runs rim brakes), the Magura HS-33's, and still have a gyro, 'cause the brakes on the 2005 P. Street aren't exactly great. Speaking of the P. Street, I was wondering, for $600 or less, would a P. Street be a good bike? Take in mind that I would undoubtably replace the tires with something grippier, and later on replace the brakes with Avid Single Digit Ultimates or some good mechanical rim brake like that.

Someone probably is going to tell me those aren't great rim brakes, but they certainly aren't bad ones, and certainly are better than Shimano Deore Rim Brakes..

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
ihatemybike said:
Requires a special headtube, but here's the F-Set.
that's pretty damn interesting..... but, I'd never want one on my bike.... just when I'm trying to make things simpler... I like the innovation though. I wonder how much extra it weighs on top of the basic frame too, and how much hydro fluid goes into the headtube?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I figured you would say that. Will you atleast tell me a really good mechanical rim brake I can put on the P. Street if I end up getting one?

As far as the Dr. Jekyll bike goes, right now in USD it costs roughly 1550 dollars (click here-->http://www.identitibikes.com/identitibikes/drjekyllbike.html if you don't believe me) new, so with the new gyro thingy, I'm going to guess it will sell for atleast 1700, so maybe 1900 is a little off.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
dirtyharry said:
I figured you would say that. Will you atleast tell me a really good mechanical rim brake I can put on the P. Street if I end up getting one?
what is wrong with the brakes that come on the P. street?? what happened to you getting a P1 chomo? Just get a freakin' bike and ride it exactly how it is, or however you can afford it and don't complain until your bag of tricks exceeds the bike's capability... summer's coming to a close.... better get on something a start pedaling...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, basically which bike I get depends on whether or not I get dual or rear only brakes, as they're being sold for the same price at my LBS. As far as the brakes on the P. Street, they're Shimano Deore V-Brakes, which, unless I am horribly mistaken, aren't exactly the greatest V-brakes on the market.

I wish I had a bike, but me getting one depends on my dad getting his bonus, which at earliest can happen the end of July.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I ride with Shimano DX brakes on my Steelhead, which are basically red LXs and I have no problem pulling abubacas and fufanus. Those Deores will stop you just fine. Hell, I used to do that stuff with caliper brakes back in the day.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.