Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suppose it was the mid to late 80's, and there existed a new bike frame, a Ritchey for example. For the sake of conversation, let's say that the frame was made with ultra-thin Tange Prestige tubing and that it was built up with XT components. Now, let's extend this scenario several years into the future, a quarter century or so, and imagine that the frame has had an eventful and yet, as some would later say, tragic life living exposed to the elements, so that it developed a bit rust coloration where it was once a beautiful white. As time passed and the rust was allowed to propagate itself, there developed a series of pin holes, perhaps as many as ten, in the ultra-thin seat tubing, some of which grew as large as several millimeters across. Undoubtedly, such a bike would be in deplorable form, and yet for all it's apparent flaws and blemishes, one certain man still yearned to ride and relive the frame's glory years. Now, what would you say to this man, hypothetically speaking of course?

Attachments

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,377 Posts
Depends on whether you want form, or function. Function, TIG them closed, smooth them off, and call it a day. Or, weld a patch plate onto the whole backside, and call it a day.

Otherwise, replace it, or pay some craftsman stupid bucks to cut a new tube in for you, doubt it's worth it though.

I'm sure more creative and reasonable answers will wander in sooner or later too....

Sad.

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sandmangts said:
I would tell him to get a better camera.
Nice zinger. This may suprise you, but that is not a professional photograph. In fact, it was taken by an amateur with a cell phone, at night, while shining a light down the seat tube. Considering, I think it turned out pretty good! :)

BTW, thanks for the responses so far, I really appreciate hearing any ideas!

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Sizzler said:
Nice zinger. This may suprise you, but that is not a professional photograph. In fact, it was taken by an amateur with a cell phone, at night, while shining a light down the seat tube. Considering, I think it turned out pretty good! :)

BTW, thanks for the responses so far, I really appreciate hearing any ideas!
Ok, now I get it. Those are some pretty big holes.

·
Hit The Road Cyclery
923 Posts
What's the serial number (assuming it's a Ritchey)? It looks like it's fillet brazed, which in means (in theory) that you could pay a builder to "un-braze" the seat tube and replace it, but it wouldn't be cheap. Also, the rest of the tubes may/do have similar internal rust that just hasn't broken through yet, so replacing one tube might just result in a different tube failing catastrophically. Probably not worth the expense, unless it has some serious sentimental value.

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
-Anomie- said:
Also, the rest of the tubes may/do have similar internal rust that just hasn't broken through yet, so replacing one tube might just result in a different tube failing catastrophically. Probably not worth the expense, unless it has some serious sentimental value.
This seems the be the case. The more I probe it, the more weak spots I find. What was once a few holes is now many holes, and some have even combined to form big holes. :bluefrown:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts