Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year I forget how much it hurts to do 6 sets of squats followed by 6 sets of leg presses! I almost had to borrow an elevator key to get to my classes on the second floor today. IMO-this is the most difficult phase of the Morris lifting plan, but worth every ounce of struggle.
FA

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah

free-agent said:
Every year I forget how much it hurts to do 6 sets of squats followed by 6 sets of leg presses! I almost had to borrow an elevator key to get to my classes on the second floor today. IMO-this is the most difficult phase of the Morris lifting plan, but worth every ounce of struggle.
FA
I was so sore after my second day of the first block I could hardly sleep. Feel better after the end of the second one i just finished. Just got a new rode bike but haven't ridden it yet. Focusing on that hypertrophy. Did me well last season!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Make sure you eat a light post workout snack or meal with some carbs and protein. Hot bath or massage afterwards helps the blood get flowing to the area again which speeds recovery.

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good points!

LBmtb said:
Make sure you eat a light post workout snack or meal with some carbs and protein. Hot bath or massage afterwards helps the blood get flowing to the area again which speeds recovery.
And also eating something about an hour beforehand seems to help me as well. I'm on the 2nd block today, we'll see how it goes. I am needing to drop the weight a tiny bit as my form was way off on the last couple of sets on the last heavy day. Putting some new music in the IPOD should help with motivation!

·
XCdude
1,323 Posts
Ha sucka, I'm on my first complete year of it

free-agent said:
FA
I'll start my second week of the strenght week, yes the the hyper stuff is killer but you can feel yourself getting stronger. Keep at it
ge :p

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
ok this is dumb, but what are you guys talking about? are you guys all doing a workout plan or something? if so how good is it and where could i get it?

·
Registered
487 Posts
It's part of a weight training program. I'm still fairly new to it, but from what I've heard the program is excellent. Big progress in a fairly short amount of time.

Do a search on "hypertrophy" and you should be able to get all the details.:)

·
Not Smart Enough to Quit
644 Posts
er Right!

I'm just finished my first week. It seems that, yes, I'm sore, but not so much between workouts as much as when I'm actually lifting. It's a different kind of pain than I have ever had before. It's almost a sharp pain in my outer quads. It's not like an injury pain, but man it hurts! I can feel myself getting stronger. I felt stronger on Friday than I did on Monday even though Friday hurt more.

To answer you question about what we are talking about check this out http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=145254 Ashwinearl does a great job of covering the Morris plan. IMHO if you want to get fast, this is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
SkinnyJimmy said:
I was so sore after my second day of the first block I could hardly sleep. Feel better after the end of the second one i just finished. Just got a new rode bike but haven't ridden it yet. Focusing on that hypertrophy. Did me well last season!
Did you do your 3 weeks of prep prior to the start of hypetrophy? Cause you shouldn't be this sore. Fatigued yes, but not so sore that you can't sleep.

But like you said on this plan things improve rapidly. That after the first 2days it will feel better.

This year I did 2 wks hypetrophy, 2 week strength and then reset the maxes and am another round of 2 weeks hyp followed by 2 week strength and then into power.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Finished!!

I finished my hypertrophy Friday and then rode yesterday and did a TT today, let me tell you my legs were burning!! I rode a few time thru this phase and prob shouldnt of!! Its just hard not to ride when the sun is out, trails are dry, and its 60 degrees outside..advantage of living in the Dirty South.

I am going to wait a couple days before I go into strength. My legs are hurting to bad. Get my computrainer tomorrow so I will be ready for the intervals that are coming. later BK

·
Registered
191 Posts
xray_ed said:
I'm just finished my first week. It seems that, yes, I'm sore, but not so much between workouts as much as when I'm actually lifting. It's a different kind of pain than I have ever had before. It's almost a sharp pain in my outer quads. It's not like an injury pain, but man it hurts!
My coach back in high school told me that most pain associated with lifting is due to lactic acid pooling in your legs post-workout. Basically, the lactic acid doesn't work itself away, it just sits in your legs/whatever you worked, causing the pain. I always find that some massage and a hot bath/shower would help a little bit. Other than that, I don't think there is much you can do.

But then again, I am no physical therapist.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did

ashwinearl said:
Did you do your 3 weeks of prep prior to the start of hypetrophy? Cause you shouldn't be this sore. Fatigued yes, but not so sore that you can't sleep.

But like you said on this plan things improve rapidly. That after the first 2days it will feel better.

This year I did 2 wks hypetrophy, 2 week strength and then reset the maxes and am another round of 2 weeks hyp followed by 2 week strength and then into power.
I did 3 weeks of prep work. I just finished my second block at the start of my second week and I'm fine. I'm 50 and weigh 130 though. This is my third year on this plan. I won one NORBA national and was 2nd At Mammoth NAtional Championship this year. I'm still getting stronger and faster!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
SkinnyJimmy said:
I did 3 weeks of prep work. I just finished my second block at the start of my second week and I'm fine. I'm 50 and weigh 130 though. This is my third year on this plan. I won one NORBA national and was 2nd At Mammoth NAtional Championship this year. I'm still getting stronger and faster!
Now THAT is what I want to be like!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.