Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IN terms of rear derailleur performance. I ain't about to pay for the X.O., and I hear the X9 rear D is about on par, closer to the XO than the XT is to XTR (right or wrong)?

I currently have 2003 XT rear D and RF shifter, but have heard amazing things about SRAM's latest, but wanted to know if it was tangible. My drivetrain is well kept and does the job, but if the SRAM is noticeably better, I'd be tempted (probably won't help me win races, but...).

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
I honestly don't think that there is hype surrounding SRAM shifters. The shifting just seems to be much snappier, smoother and more positive and more reliable and not so vulnerable to mud and grit and stuff that affects Shimano systems.

I would strongly suggest either X9 or X.0 shifters and derailleurs - You wont be disappointed.

I have both an X9 and X.O rear derailleurs together with X.O Shifters and have yet to find a flaw with the system.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
I have both

danK said:
IN terms of rear derailleur performance. I ain't about to pay for the X.O., and I hear the X9 rear D is about on par, closer to the XO than the XT is to XTR (right or wrong)?

I currently have 2003 XT rear D and RF shifter, but have heard amazing things about SRAM's latest, but wanted to know if it was tangible. My drivetrain is well kept and does the job, but if the SRAM is noticeably better, I'd be tempted (probably won't help me win races, but...).
Forget XT, I liked the SRAM stuff so much I got rid of all my XTR stuff. I have X-9 Triggers with X-0 RD on one bike and X-7 Triggers and X-9 Rd on the other. They are very similar. The X-9/X-0 setup shifts a bit crisper, but I have no preference for which one I prefer. I agree the X-0 RD may not be worth the extra $$, but you can't go wrong with this decision.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Sounds like hype to me Trevor. You first talk about shifters and he specifically asks about rear derailleurs. As for shifters my xt's are going on 4+ years with zero problems. Don't know how you can compare reliabilitly issues with something that's only been on the market for a year. You be hyping man.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like SRAM for rear

I just switched form an XT rear der to a SRAM X.7, and I like it better. Shifts cleanly, and I like the shifter feel better.

As for the front shifter w/XT der, the SRAM allows you to "trim", but sometimes I "have to" trim it.

Overall, go with what you like on the shifters, as I don't think the difference is in the ders.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
267 Posts
I think they are pretty comparable when setup correctly.

The main technical advantage I can see is that the SRAM stuff pulls twice as much cable per shift as shimano so very slight cable stretch or mis-adjustment is less problematic for the sram stuff.

Just my 2 cents,
DJ

·
Just Grin and HUCK it...
855 Posts
danK said:

I've used both and am totally blown away on how much better the X.9 is than the XT.

I had the XT on my stumpy that I rode for about 2.5 years. The XT shifted OK, not real crisp shifting, nothing breathtaking about it, just OK. It seemed as though I was always adjusting it here or there. It worked fine and I never had any real issues with it. But then I bought a 5 Spot that had X.9 RD and X.9 triggers. What a difference! The X.9 has much cleaner crisper shifts and never struggles to find the right cog on the cogset. It's as easy as "click-bam", real quick shifts. I've had my Spot for 12 weeks now and have not had to adjust the X.9 once. NOT ONCE!! And, contrary to your belief, the SRAM may very well help you win races.

I for one will never go back to shimano.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
X.9 destroys Shimano...

danK said:

No comparison in shifting accuracy. Plus, SRAM is almost impervious to gunk in the cables. Beautiful stuff. I don't like the gripshift due to personal preference, so I use the trigger shifters. I have not adjusted my derailleurs in 3 months. Wow!

Jaybo

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jaybo said:
No comparison in shifting accuracy. Plus, SRAM is almost impervious to gunk in the cables. Beautiful stuff. I don't like the gripshift due to personal preference, so I use the trigger shifters. I have not adjusted my derailleurs in 3 months. Wow!

Jaybo
Thanks, all. I'm going to get some x.9 trigger shifters (but use it with my sram front twister) and x.9 derailleur when Performance has their team double points weekend on the 7th and 8th of august. I'll have them price match the best rates.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.