Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year, I have had my first taste of disc brakes (Hayes HF hydros), and I must say they are awesome, especially when tackling technical down hill runs. But, I have had to have them bled twice. And, it seems like every month I have to realign everything. But, still worth the hassle.

Last week, I helped a friend buy a new HT, Giant Rainier w/ Avid mech brakes. When I test road his bike, I was surprised how well they modulated. We went out on a trail that week and I compared the two and here is what I found:

1) The hydros modulated better, but the mechs were pretty close and much better than v-brakes.
2) Adjusting the mechs were easy as spit.
3) Stopping power was equal. However, the hydros took less pressure (as expected)

To say the least, I was pretty impressed with the mech brakes. I worry sometimes if I am doing an epic ride and the hyros loos fluid, I would screwed. With the mechs, I could fix easliy. What do you guys think?

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
I agree with all your assessments!!

Moo Shoo Pork said:
1) The hydros modulated better, but the mechs were pretty close and much better than v-brakes.
2) Adjusting the mechs were easy as spit.
3) Stopping power was equal. However, the hydros took less pressure (as expected)
The good and bad thing about mechs is that they use cables and housings. But if you set it up with stiff housing and top quality calbles thay work very well and are very easy to maintain.

·
Uber V Cripp
222 Posts
Oh man this is still going on after 4 years. The answer is...... *drum roll* ......whatever works best for you! Personally I run both and like my hydros better. But my other ride has cables and they work fine too. Mike T has a system that works better then any of them. Only problem is they aren't available in any shops yet :D .....jdcamb

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I Want To Know What Works Best For Others

jdcamb said:
Oh man this is still going on after 4 years. The answer is...... *drum roll* ......whatever works best for you! Personally I run both and like my hydros better. But my other ride has cables and they work fine too. Mike T has a system that works better then any of them. Only problem is they aren't available in any shops yet :D .....jdcamb
I agree each to his/her own. Since being a relative newbie to discs, I wanted to see what everyone elses experiences have been with both types.

·
Uber V Cripp
222 Posts
Fattirewilly said:
What, is he still stuffing his foot/shoe between his rear tire and the chainstay bridge?
I am sure he has been riding since those were the only option. His first bike was a fixie highwheeler in fact I have a action shot of him on it.

As you can see foot braking was one option and this was another :D His improved system is organic in nature and he could probably explain it better as I used to be a competitor and am still quite bitter about it all. His heavy handed tactics drove me out of business. Well I forgive him as he is extremely driven person and he really needed those bike parts he bought with the money he made from his system. I in turn only needed to feed my family.........jdcamb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.