Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Is dang happy!
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experimented with a product like Rust-oleum NeverWet?

Not sure if it will stick to tires (mold release agents are already slippery) but if it did I would love to give it a shot, I have a upcoming ride planed where the trail is covered in bentonite clay and it might help keep the tires from snowballing.

Will also use it on shoes as I know it sticks well to fabric.

Here is a article I found and I know there is silicone spray as well.

Brown Amber Maroon Tan Advertising

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Awhile back someone posted about this, or a similar product, then, as do some of the comments in your link point out...there are environmental/health concerns.

Nanotechnology has a great promise...but how do you keep it from going where it can do harm...how do you create a Nano particle barrier or hold it in place?

·
Is dang happy!
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the catalyst that bonds the nanoparticles to the surface is probably not good to breath, like any solvent. Not horribly concerned about nanotoxicology yet although the products are new and caution should be used when using them. I have welded materials that can defiantly cause harm and have a organic vapor respirator for painting I will use.
Motorolla has used it on their phones for the last few years and then there is this from Rust-oleum for what it's worth.

5. Is NeverWet safe?
Yes. The superhydrophobic ingredient in the Top Coat has been used in the cosmetics and food industry for over 20 years and has been deemed safe by the US Environmental Protection Agency. The other ingredients are typical ingredients found in paint.

·
Is dang happy!
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well darn, that settles it.
I am not planning on eating it and lost my Geisha licence so I should be ok.
I am more concerned about the tons of known carcinogens spewing from exhaust pipes that I breath on my commute every day but I always take precautions and read the MSDS when using chemicals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.