Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ridden Avid mech brakes on my last bike, they seemed very powerful and I do like the simplicity of the Avid mech

I want to upgrade my new bike to disc brakes in the future.

I'm sure this has been discussed before........

How do Hayes XC, Shimano Deore or older Xt compare weight, modulation, power, set up and maintanence to Avid mech.

Thanks

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
It's a matter of personal preferences...

Avids are great brakes but do not have the "feel" of a hydro.

The may be a bit less modulable than a hydro but that's an inherent design characteristic. Just consider they are very, very modulable but not as a hydro (there might be less modulable hydros too).

For maintenance, as SpeehubNate said in another thread, it's a matter of if you prefer dealing with cable, housings, and constant pad adjustments or if you want to deal with brake fluid, bleeding and piston cleaning. So you decide on that.

In my particular case, I prefer mechs 'cos I can find a brake cable even in Asstown, Mexico, but for sure I would not find a hydro line around (DOT or oil can be found everywhere).

For adjustability, Avids win hands down (either mechs or Juicys).
Weight, they are a bit heavier but not for much. Not the best option for racing though.

I would put them in this order: Old XT, tie Deore hydro-Avid Mech, Hayes XC.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I have Avid mech on one bike and Juicy on another...

Well let's say for me the price difference is easy to justify. The mech are on my "week night" ride bike so I didn't want to spend a lot of money. However, on weekends when I hop on my main bike, the difference is spectacular. The Juicy have much better modulation and overall feel. As far as power, I would say it mostly depends on the size of your forearms! The mech are powerful, however on a long day of downhill, I would think that you would get tired faster compared to the Juicy's...

Anyway, I love both for easy setup. Mech are a little less complicated to maintain, Juicy are much nicer for modulation and feel. By the way, I had the 2001 Shimano XT hydros before and I would never go back to those compared to the Juicy.

Hope this helps.

spacoli said:
I have ridden Avid mech brakes on my last bike, they seemed very powerful and I do like the simplicity of the Avid mech

I want to upgrade my new bike to disc brakes in the future.

I'm sure this has been discussed before........

How do Hayes XC, Shimano Deore or older Xt compare weight, modulation, power, set up and maintanence to Avid mech.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts