Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
rides with camera
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey , just wonderfing if anyone can give me suggestions on what kind of pack to get . I just bought a new slr camera and it won`t fit in my older mule . I would like to get something that is not to bulky " preferably" .

I know there has to be alot of slr owners out there that take there cameras !

thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have taken my Nikon D300 in my Camelbak HAWG with me from time to time (with a Nikkor 16-85 VR lens) but it's still a pain.

I am considering getting a Panny G1 w/ 14-150 lens(when it comes out) just so I can "go small" for MTB and Hiking without sacrificing too much in PQ.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I agree w/ nc, the lowepro packs are nice and many of them are pretty slim. But for Christmas I'll be getting a pelican hard case that I'll usually load into a regular backpack. It should be nearly bulletproof (in the event of a crash) and for more epic rides I can load it into a daypack w/ other gear and a hydration bladder.

http://www.adorama.com/PL1400CH.html

·
Registered
487 Posts
I juggled with this for a while and tried a number of different options. The problem with carrying a SLR(or any camera) in a backpack when riding is that you have to stop, take off the pack, take the camera out, take your picture, put the camera back in the pack, put the pack back on, then start riding again. "So what?" you say. Well, it gets really old after a while. It takes time, it's hard to get "the shot" because it's probably gone by the time you get the camera out, the people you ride with don't want to wait for you, etc, etc. I usually ended up not taking many pictures because it was such a pain.

What I found works best is to get a Tamrac or Lowepro holster-style padded case
for the camera. Something like the one pictured below. These will usually have belt loops on the back. I just put the sternum strap from my Camelbak Mule through the belt loops on the case so the camera sits in front at chest level while I ride. I also put the shoulder strap from the camera bag around my neck, not tight or bearing any of the weight, but just as insurance in case something happens with the sternum strap(which never has). When you want to take a picture you don't even need to remove the case, just open it up and pull out the camera.

It does feel a bit awkward at first, having a heavy camera hanging off of your chest. But after a bit you don't even notice it. Of course the camera doesn't have nearly the protection that it would if it were in a backpack. When I'm riding with the camera I'm not out pushing my limts. Or, in some cases, if we get to a trick technical section, I'll give the camera to a buddy so he can take pictures of me riding it. In any case, the chances of you coming down hard on your chest in a crash are probably pretty slim though.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.