Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, guys, I'm tired of using my jansport school backpack when I go biking. I look like a newbie having a school backpack strapped to me. but the real reason is that this backpack makes my back sweat, is awkward, and sways with too much stuff inside. can anyone of you profs recommend a good hydro/cargo pack? sometimes I ride my bike to work and have to bring clothes to change, so I need a cargo space to fit a pair of pants and a buttoned shirt. I don't want a huge pack, but one that is slim, flat-looking, and offers enough cargo space for some stuff. I'm think that maybe the camelbak MULE because it doesn't lok big and bulky and the cargo space seems sufficient for work commutes and long bike rides. any suggestions, guys?

·
Registered
308 Posts
djork said:
okay, guys, I'm tired of using my jansport school backpack when I go biking. I look like a newbie having a school backpack strapped to me. but the real reason is that this backpack makes my back sweat, is awkward, and sways with too much stuff inside. can anyone of you profs recommend a good hydro/cargo pack? sometimes I ride my bike to work and have to bring clothes to change, so I need a cargo space to fit a pair of pants and a buttoned shirt. I don't want a huge pack, but one that is slim, flat-looking, and offers enough cargo space for some stuff. I'm think that maybe the camelbak MULE because it doesn't lok big and bulky and the cargo space seems sufficient for work commutes and long bike rides. any suggestions, guys?
You can pack a lot of stuff on the MULE, but it will be pretty wrinkled when you get it out. Think about something like a HAWG. This will give you space for the clothes without compressing them too much as well as a lot more room for parts and munchies on the trails.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Th' Mule said:
You can pack a lot of stuff on the MULE, but it will be pretty wrinkled when you get it out. Think about something like a HAWG. This will give you space for the clothes without compressing them too much as well as a lot more room for parts and munchies on the trails.
I have the Camelback Blowfish which is half way between the Mule and Hawg in terms of size...it has an expandable compartment as well. I think its the ideal pack...can hold 3 liters of water and extra stuff for epic rides and is perfectly comfortable. It is much better than the smaller generic hydration pack that I first bought.

·
Bodhisattva
10,849 Posts
Wingnut

My new favorite is the wingnut Hyper 3.0.
Wingnut uses a floating harness which allows the pack to sit on the hips & not on the shoulders which is much less fatiguing and more comfortable than a camelbak style design. Plus, all the pockets have side zippers & are accessible without removing the pack. And on top of that, it has far more room than a camelbak mule but can be compressed with the attached straps to a very reasonable size so it serves just as well for a quick spin as it does for an all day epic where I'm hauling pads & layers.
The bladder has an ingenous quick release valve so that the hose can be disconnected from the bladder without causing leaks and the bladder comes with blue hot/cold packs built in so it stays cool during summer & warm during winter.

www.wingnutgear.com

Mountain High Cyclery just got their first shipment and most of us locals have already snagged them.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
You could use the camelback MULE if you could fold your clothes very well since they will probobly get wrinkled if you don't. The HAWG has more than double the cargo capacity, and will probobly be easier to put clothes in. I just bought the MULE, and it is very nice, has enough room for long rides but is not bulky. It also has an air channel on the back to keep your back cool. I suggest you go see them in a store since its hard to judge size from pictures online.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Picard said:
Camelbak packs still make you sweat like hell. Why don't you look at deuter packs. http://www.deuterusa.com

There packs have mesh with a curve frame that permit air to flow through unimpede.
I have to second Deuter. The wingnut is nice, but still makes me sweat. I am using the Cross Air for commuting and love it.

-James

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,441 Posts
djork said:
sometimes I ride my bike to work and have to bring clothes to change, so I need a cargo space to fit a pair of pants and a buttoned shirt.
For commuting how about a couple water bottles and a rack with either a trunk bag or panniers. No sweat on the back. No weight on your body. Freedom.

·
Riding free's the mind
1,014 Posts
Camelback

I have the Camelback Lobo and Mule, awesome packs, but I find the lobo to be perfect for 1-3 hour rides, the Mule more condusive to commuting because of the cargo volume.

Yes, the bigger the pack the more surface area your back gets sweaty, but it's hard to beat camelback's reservoir and bite valve.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Another vote for the Duter Race X Air (or slightly larger Race X Air II).

My old MULE and Blowfish (as well as my big-ass Deuter Freeride) made my back sweat like a swamp. I hate the drenched shirt and the chills that go with it on windy or cold days and on the drive home.

I began using the Race X Air maybe a year and a half ago, and now I swear by it. I'm not staying completely dry, but this pack keeps me noticably cooler.

The Race X Air gear storage capacity falls somewhere inbetween the MULE and the Blowfish, plus the 100oz of water. The zip-away helmet holder is useful for toting a rolled-up rain jacket or other bulky clothing items.

My biggest knock against it is the lack organization in the storage compartment -- it's essentially a deep sack with a separate, small accessories compartment on the outside. The Race X Air II has an additional zippered compartment.

·
Registered
283 Posts
i use a dakine heli-pro that i also double as my ski bag (original purpose) But it is a large pack and most people think it is bulky. But i don't mind, being a clyde already the extra 3 lbs doesn't make much of a difference. I like it b/c when i go for a ride i can fit all my tools, food, and a soft shell jacket in it for if it gets cold. Def. enough room for extra clothes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think you are going to sweat no matter what. Don't screw around - get a HAWG. One pack - you can do a 1 hour trip or an epic overnighter. It really is not heavy at all and you can always have:

Tools
Tubes
Rain gear
Food
Extra Food for the hoser that bonked because all he brought was a damned banana
Kitchen sink

with you at all times.
Keep it packed at all times and all you have to do is add water and ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.