Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting the lady some hydros (the V's just conked out) I dont want to spend more than 160 per. What about the base strokers? Juicy 3's? Shes never had disc brakes, and rides a Jamis Dakar. I'm thinking this is the best upgrade to start on the bike, then move to shock and wheelset. . .

Any thoughts, other than saving the money for my rig?

Cheers

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks chief. . . they're in Hong Kong thought. . . ? I've read bad reviews about the Juicy's and think it'll prolly be best to go for either the Trails or Ryde's. . . can you in all of your mtb knowledge tell me the difference b/t the two?

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Truckee Trash said:
Thanks chief. . . they're in Hong Kong thought. . . ? I've read bad reviews about the Juicy's and think it'll prolly be best to go for either the Trails or Ryde's. . . can you in all of your mtb knowledge tell me the difference b/t the two?
Check out ebay. I got a pair of Juicy 7s--which are fine--for $130 brand new save for one ride.

G

·
skinny-tire said:
Check out ebay. I got a pair of Juicy 7s--which are fine--for $130 brand new save for one ride.
You know the saying right? Hayes Breaks:D

Some of the Juicy 7's had a shutter issue where they felt like they were pulsating, but my Juicy 5's and 7's did not. My Codes are the best brakes I have ever used and I still run Avid BB7 mechanicals on one of my bikes which have been flawless for 4 years.:thumbsup:

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
Truckee Trash said:
There are other sellers that was just the first on the list and I have bought a few items from that seller also .

Personally I like my trails although I am a bit unhappy with them right now but I have had them for a year now and the LBS didn't bleed them right so I have to do it again but other than that they have held up to all of my riding . As for the juicys I didn't care for their on off feel.

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im considering the bb7's for her. . . I don't need to go all out on top of the line brakes as Im sure there will be a bike upgrade for her in the future. Id love to throw my XT's on her bike and get myself something fancy, but doesnt s h i tmano have that star hex thingy on the hub (you like my descriptive language) that makes me buy more parts?

G

·
Truckee Trash said:
Im considering the bb7's for her. . . I don't need to go all out on top of the line brakes as Im sure there will be a bike upgrade for her in the future. Id love to throw my XT's on her bike and get myself something fancy, but doesnt s h i tmano have that star hex thingy on the hub (you like my descriptive language) that makes me buy more parts?
Depends, some Shimano hubs and rotors are the Centerlock interface, but you can use regular rotors with the Shimano calipers.

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
Na you could easily throw the xt's on her bike with normal rotors and new brakes on your ride with the centerlock xt rotors if thats what you have.

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ah yea didnt think about that, I guess its just the rotor, and a matter of getting an adapter for the fork. While I've got a small audience, should this be the upgrade I go for on her bike? It's bottom of the line everything. Wheels, Shock, Fork, Brakes? Im leaning on brakes cause right now the V's she's got just don't / won't work / plain old suck.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Truckee Trash said:
BB7's with nice levers are awesome.
For the best feel, use either the Ride-On cables or the Avid Flak Jackets (sealed cables). Provides the best feel and they will last a lot longer. And its all still under the cost of new hydros.

I was running BB7's with 203mm rotors on my Cannondale Xtracycle conversion...it was capable of hauling me and 200 lbs of cargo to a stop easily. Highly recommend :thumbsup:

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts

·
Registered
4,749 Posts

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can't ask her, shes a great rider, but draws the line on knowing anything more than how to change a flat. Prolly wiser to go go for the BB7's in terms of cost and such, and saving me more money for my bike. . .

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.