Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting Shimano XT M765 brakes for my bike. I don't know much about hydro brakes at all. So I have a couple of questions:

1). I have a inside cat and I don't want him stepping in any drops of brake fluid. Even if it's Shimano mineral oil. Are these brakes 100% leak proof or will the be tiny little drops here and there?

2) I commute alot with my bike also. I plan on sketching out the name on the parts so no one will be tempted to steal them. But would it be easy for someone to take them off my bike while I'm in a coffee shops, etc?

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
1. There won't be any drops on the ground. Your cat is more likely to lick the chain and eat chain lube. Mineral oil will not hurt the cat - it's the same thing as "baby oil" http://www.bodymindbreath.com/content/BabyOil

2. The parts aren't super easy to take off. Especially the discs. Use zip ties on the hose so they'll need just one more tool but yes, the levers and calipers aren't super difficult to remove. I'm not sure where/how you store your bike at destination but if it involves removing the front wheel, mechanical brakes might be better for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.