Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have posted a few times. I have a set of Elixer3 on my bike but the back brake sounds like it is grinding when I use it has any one else had this problem. I try to use both front and rear on down hill but the rear brake s this horriable noise any help would be great.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Most likely, it's just dirt in the caliper. There's also a weird noise that happens when the pads are mostly worn out.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Yup..pull the pads out, inspect/clean/replace. Most common "guide" is the dime, if your pad surface area is worn down less than the thickness of a dime = time to replace yer pads :)

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Well bran new pads do have a "brake in period". My brake manufacture says first 30-40 uses before pads are "broke in"...
Maybe you just need to ride more..hit the piss out of them at every corner and chance you get...Ride SLam Ride Slam LOL

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
You ride your bike on dirt. (I assume.) Dirt will get into your calipers. I don't think it's worth the trouble to pull your pads if they're new.

You can see if you have pad surface left by looking in the hole in the back of the caliper. As they wear down, the spreader clip thing starts to obscure the edge of the friction material.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts