Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Rockhopper Comp Disc. The bike came with Avid BB-5 mechanical disc brakes, and I'm upgrading to Avid hydraulics.

My frame only has two cable/hose guides on the toptube. These guides are "open faced" like hydraulic hose guides (i.e. they're not standard cable stops), but they're not slotted at the bottom for zip ties.

In stock configuration, the mechanical brake cable is routed through flanged inserts that slip into the guides and act as cable stops (see attached picture... sorry for the low quality). Does anyone know where to find a similar insert that works for securing hydraulic lines to these guides?

I've already talked with my local dealer, and they were at a loss (their suggestion was that I dremel slots into the base of the guides for zip ties... something I'd rather avoid).

Help is appreciated.

--MW

Attachments

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oldskoolbiker said:
If you don't want to dremmel it out, take a look at these items:
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/12562-050_PRMHB3-3-Parts-49-Cables/Cable-Guides.htm
Yeah, I've seen both options. The bolt-on style requires a standard, slotted cable stop (which I don't have); the stick-on style might be an option if I can't find a better solution... but honestly, it seems silly to _not_ use the hose guides that are already on the frame.

Can't figure out why Specialized made this so weird.

--MW

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
There are little grommets that fit around the hose. They really don't work all that well. But if you can't find them, drop me an email. I'll send a couple out.
Hey, cool. I'll follow up with you on this... my dealer doesn't have anything for me, and I haven't found "the right part" after three evenings of Google'ing for it.

Just out of curiosity, why don't they work very well?

--MW

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
They're too loose; they tend to slide out from where they were. A bit of electrical tape works much better. Wrap it around the hose and slide the fattened portion through the guide. Zipties work great too.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah... I ended up just using a wrap of electrical tape in front of each guide. Totally inelegant, but it gets the job done. Still gotta say, though, it was pretty lame of Specialized to not slot the guides for zip ties.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--MW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.