Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I want to change the stock Avid brake/shifter combo on my 2009 Raleigh Mojave 8.0 to a hydraulic combo. Since I am a heavier biker I would like something rugged.

Any ideas and ballpark pricing. LBS told me they would install for $20 per side. 35 if they had to bleed em.

Thanks for the help!!

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
If you're switching...

EMS Biker said:
Hey guys,

I want to change the stock Avid brake/shifter combo on my 2009 Raleigh Mojave 8.0 to a hydraulic combo. Since I am a heavier biker I would like something rugged.

Any ideas and ballpark pricing. LBS told me they would install for $20 per side. 35 if they had to bleed em.

Thanks for the help!!
You'll probably have to go separate shifters and brake levers. $20 a side seems reasonable for a shop charge.

It's really not that hard to do yourself. You might want to consider DIY. It is time consuming, and it involves re-cabling your derailleurs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping to keep them a combo but oh well. I may buy those sram shifters and derailleurs while I am at it. This is going to get expensive if I am not carefull.

Any suggestions on Brand? I have no clue when it come to brakes on what is sturdy. I dont do extreme trails but as I said I am a clyde.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
The xt dual control shifters with hydro brakes go for very reasonable prices on ebay. Some people don't care for these shifters. I have them on one bike and triggers on another bike - like the dual control a little better.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you wouldn't necessarily have to get a rapid rise rear der., but most people prefer them with the dual control shifters. Like other things, shifters are personal preference, so make sure you at least look at some before you buy if you are going to mail order - sram included.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
Avid doesn't make a shifter/brake lever combo. Those are Shimano Alivio shifter/brake levers.

But how much are you willing to spend on hydraulics?

The least expensive ones will run you around $125 per wheel, maybe less if you can find a closeout deal.

And SRAM shifters will not work with your Shimano rear derailleurs. So if you want SRAM shifters, you will need to install a SRAM rear derailleur. If you don't want to go that far, just pick up a set of Deore shifters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.