Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm running an 09' Marlin Disc. It currently has the stock BB5's with 160mm F/R rotors. I'm 6'4, 210...I want a little more stopping power and just a better over-all brake. I am relatively new into biking, so I am not familiar with what components fit in, or what I'd need to upgrade. I'm not looking to break the bank. What size rotors could I use? Do I need to change my hubs? Any and ALL help would be great! Suggestions too! I was considering Juicy Three's. What's all involved in this?

Also, is there any money I can get for selling my BB5's? They have been used maybe 40 miles and are in excellent condition.

Thanks ahead guys!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Juicy 5's would be an excellent choice. It is almost like the top of the line Juicy's except without a pad adjustment, which I rarely use.

I would probably get 160mm rotors, as opposed to the larger and better stopping 180mm's. While your weight could benefit from more braking power, your fork may not hold up from the increased leverage.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Nope, Avid disc rotors all use the same 6 bolt pattern.

I would probably go Juicy 5's if the prices are the same. The construction is a little nicer than the 3's.

I don't know much about pricing however.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Honestly... just switch the calipers to BB7's ... they use the same pads as the juicy line and are adjustable from both sides... unlike the 5's... night and day... cheap upgrade. If you want to make them super adjustable... get some speed dial 7 levers for 25-30 bucks more...

This set-up dialed in properly is just as effective as juicy 3's or 5's ... maybe even 7's... for a lot less money and do it without special tools maintenance.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just rode a Cannondale Rush with BB5's on it, and compared to the Juicy 5's that I have on my Marlin (replaced the v-brakes with the Juicy's), there is a world of difference. The modulation is better, the stopping power is better, yada yada.

If it were me, and at one point it was me, I'd invest the extra cash in the Juicy 5's. Being able to stop when I want is incredibly important to me, and I love the power that the Juicy 5's give me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.