Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am brand new to the hydraulic arena. I just fit a set of Magura HS11 brakes onto my BMX bike, and I am in the process of getting them to the feeling I want (and have had on my mechanical U-brakes). So, I would like a primer on hydraulic fluid. Specifically, which provide the lowest resistance? The stiffest feel? Thank you for any help.

Thanks,
Peter

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Magura uses mineral oil. I suggest just using the Magura Blood to bleed it. DO NOT use mineral oil from the pharmacy or drug store.

Never seen a hydro rim brake on a BMX. Post up pics when you're done.

I hope you have strong rims, those brakes are powerful enough to pinch cheap rims together. The stock pads can be a bit noisy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But is there a better fluid to use instead of the standard magura mineral oil? And is there even a way to change the fluid to another without contamination?

I have been wanting to do this for a while, so it is a dream come true for me. I have a very hard anodizing on my rims, so it will hold out better than others would, however, I do expect to be buying a new rim soon... probably a chrome one (since chrome is harder than even my Durrelectra anodizing)

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I don't mean the wear, I mean they produce enough power to fold the rims in on themselves.

As for the fluid, you can only use mineral oil in that system. Glycol based DOT brake fluid will be disaster for those seals.

I've heard of people using Shimano fluid, which I think is less viscuous? I have not tried it, so I can not recommend it.

In all reality, the difference will be almost impercievable (can't spell). And really, the Maguras are more than smooth and powerful enough already.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thank you very much. I will research more of the shimano oil thing. For some reason it did not occure to me that the seals might be specific to the fluid they use.

BMX rims are usually designed with less height and more side to side material than those of MTB and road. I will have to reposition my brakes so that they hit the center or lower part of the rim.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Tubes6al4v said:
I am brand new to the hydraulic arena. I just fit a set of Magura HS11 brakes So, I would like a primer on hydraulic fluid. Specifically, which provide the lowest resistance? The stiffest feel?
Didn't you read your Magura manual? There's also the downloadable one on their site. You'd better do your homework before you start messing around with fluids. Trying to one-up their engineers could cost you a set of brakes as warranty will be zilch if you use anything but their fluid.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
Depends what rim. Supras have a very tall sidewall.
Yeah, but, Supra rims are quite outdated. Newer rims are not quite such a large cross section.

Mike T. said:
Didn't you read your Magura manual? There's also the downloadable one on their site. You'd better do your homework before you start messing around with fluids. Trying to one-up their engineers could cost you a set of brakes as warranty will be zilch if you use anything but their fluid.
Yes, I did read the Magura Manual. I figured that they would say that it is best to use their own... which they did. I guess that would be part of my homework... and this thread, is the continuation of my research. I like to learn things and thought that their might be more to learn than just the magura site (I dont only take information from one source).

Mostly, I just want to see how high performance I can make the brakes (or just make them feel even better). Also the brakes are from 2003, so the warrenty is not all that important...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pvd said:
i think that this is exactly what you are looking for:

http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=Hydraulic_Mineral_Oil
Thank you, that was an interesting read... It seems like the only viable possibility is the shimano... I need to do more research though.

Mike T. said:
They do have a 5-year warranty.
Good point... I still think I may try the shimano mineral oil... after a while of running it with the stock oil (I thought it would the Magura Blood, but it isnt the red or Blue...hmmm). I have some Magura Blood at my shop, so I dont really need to try others, but I thought there may be a distinct advantage

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Tubes6al4v said:
It seems like the only viable possibility is the shimano... I need to do more research though.
I am running Pentosin instead of the Shimano oil because it WORKS BETTER AND IT'S CHEAPER.

Shimano Mineral oil is 25 times more expensive than Pentosin!

Why would you not try the cheaper oil that I say works better in favor of a more expensive alternative? Just go to a BMW dealer and buy some.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pvd said:
I am running Pentosin instead of the Shimano oil because it WORKS BETTER AND IT'S CHEAPER.

Shimano Mineral oil is 25 times more expensive than Pentosin!

Why would you not try the cheaper oil that I say works better in favor of a more expensive alternative? Just go to a BMW dealer and buy some.
You seem to be getting quite excited about that. I work at a shop, and we already have some shimano, so I wouldnt have to pay for it. I will look into the Pentosin though...

Oh, and here is a thread where I posted my Brakes, if any of you are interested:
http://www.bikeguide.org/forums/showthread.php?t=98388

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you guys confirm the claim that some trials riders have used distilled water in their brakes instead of the Magura Blood to make a snappier brake? Keep in mind, heat expansion does not matter in my case. Thanks, you guys have helpped a lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.