Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Camelback Mule.

While I've read here that "water only" is the best way to use it, it's difficult for me to subsist on "just" water while riding
(I like to put in at least a couple of hours when I ride).
If it's too much of a hassle to have to thoroughly clean and flush it out,
I was thinking of just keeping water in the bladder with a bottle of sports drink in my storage section.

Questions:
1. Do any of you guys use Sports Drinks like Gaterade or Powerade or Propel in your bladders?

2. What are the cons of using them? (I figure that if I use them and clean out the bladder every time after usage with just water, there should be no problem.)

3. What's the "proper" way to route the tube?

4. Is the mouth piece to be left hanging freely or is there a place to route it to? (Pics would be helpful if possible!)

Thanks.

·
Registered
18,791 Posts
2ndgen said:
Questions:
1. Do any of you guys use Sports Drinks like Gaterade or Powerade or Propel in your bladders?

2. What are the cons of using them? (I figure that if I use them and clean out the bladder every time after usage with just water, there should be no problem.)

3. What's the "proper" way to route the tube?

4. Is the mouth piece to be left hanging freely or is there a place to route it to? (Pics would be helpful if possible!)

Thanks.
I've used sports drinks in the bladder before (when expecting to ride 4+ hours) but I don't normally use anything other than water for short rides.

The cons are that it's more difficult to lean out the bladder afterwards, and organisms like to grow inside there. My solution was to stick the bladder in the freezer for storage. Another con is that sometimes you just want plain water, either because you're sick of the sweet sports drink or you want to wash something off your hands or face.

I run the tubing through the loops on the right shoulder strap. I cut the tubing down to length so it doesn't touch my thigh when I pedal.

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nat. Good to know.

I think I'm going to use water in the bladder and I'll carry a bottle of sports drink to chase the water down from time to time on long rides.

Didn't think of using the water face or hands...might feel good on my neck too on a blazing day or for soaking my helmet's sweat band. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I've found its easiest for me to just carry water in my bladder. When I want to bring some kind of electrolyte, I put that in a water bottle and carry in a water bottle carrier and/or in my pack, depending on how much I need to carry.

Even with just water in your bladder, you'll need to at least brush out your tube once in a while. Many will flush/scrub with a weak bleach solution when needed.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
I use gatorade endurance formula at half strength to cut the sweetness and calories; when I remember I add a couple table spoons elite drops per 70 oz camelbak--slightly more for a 100 oz bladder, the drops really keep leg cramps at bay.

I dont worry too much about nasties, but when I see the inside of the hose starts looking funky' I clean it. Really a mute point now that it's summer in Texas. I nearly empty a hundred ouncer every ride--therefore really allit needs is a good rinsing out.

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figure that's the route I'll go...sports drink in my bag, water in the bladder and an apple & berries in a plastic container in the bag as well.

The thing with me is that once I begin to ride, I ride until exhaustion
(which for me is usually about after an hour or two of non-stop running).

I'll take about 10 or 15 minutes to rest my legs,
stretch a bit and just take a load off of my feet and I'll definately eat something.
Then when I start to get cold (i.e. "too" comfortable),
I'll mount up again and try to ride at least as much as I rode before that point making exhaustion my 1/2 way point.

During the ride, I'll let my body tell me how much water I need and I'll respond to it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
ive put everything through mine. water. gatorade. propel. coke. diet coke. diet pepsi. rum and diet pepsi. spiced rum. clear rum. vodka. orange juice. vodka and orange juice together.

rinse and repeat. i put water in my cage bottle an rinse with that.

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Johnny Drama said:
ive put everything through mine. water. gatorade. propel. coke. diet coke. diet pepsi. rum and diet pepsi. spiced rum. clear rum. vodka. orange juice. vodka and orange juice together.

rinse and repeat. i put water in my cage bottle an rinse with that.
Pepsi is such a tempting thing, but I'm trying to get "off" of Pepsi. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs. Pepsi is my only vice.

Mmmm! I even imagined riding hard, dry, then reaching for my mouthpiece and getting a shot of ice cold Pepsi...that's like a shot of Nitrous for me! LOL!

But I digress...I cannot do that!

H20 or sports drinks when riding.

:)

·
1,534 Posts
i do water in the camelback...and then i have a little 8oz (or so) nalgene bottle that i put in the way back filled with a scoop of strawberry whey protein (30g), and 1/2 scoop of lemon lime gatorade mix. and i'll drink that when i'm bonking a bit...or in the middle/end of the ride. tastes great...electrolytes should help rehydrate and protein should keep me going and/or build some muscle.

as far as the hose goes. i run it up through the little hole at the top of the pack (obviously), over the loops on my right shoulder and then it just dangles there pretty much out of the way but really easy to reach down and put in my mouth while i'm riding. your pack should have a little clip that the hose slips into...if not you can probably get a hold of one really easily.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.