Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally ready to retire my ten year old Camelbak Mule, the back panel has rubbed my lumbar raw for the last time.

Trying to see what's out there, how they ride, hold up, etc...

What's everyonee's favorites?

I as looking at Osprey Raptor and Platypus Duthie.

Thanks.

·
Snow Dog
3,777 Posts
Osprey Raptor 14...mine is 5 years old now, and it has been awesome! Replaced an old Camelback. I bought it because it is much easier to fill, it has much more storage options as far as pockets go. I wear it at work too in the summer, so it gets a lot of use. It has a 3 liter bladder

Osprey is reeeaalll good about replacing parts. When the clear rubber nozzle thing wore out, I e mailed Osprey asking for a new plastic cover. They sent 3 for free...I have heard that they send other parts the same way.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I used to ride w a similar mule, and have since upgraded to the camelbak skyline lr. I like the fit and stability of the low reservoir. The newest version has better ventillation than previous, in that the straps are thinner and perforated, and the back has a different padding and structure.
Worth checking out IMO.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
The gap between the back and pack is amazing. I sweat a lot but I don't ever have a wet back wearing this pack like I do other packs. And the bladder down low really helps with weight distribution. I'm very happy with this thing.

Grass Green Bag Musical instrument accessory Luggage and bags

Product Bag Rock-climbing equipment Webbing Strap

·
Registered
18,791 Posts
It's in the harness. The pack stays so secure and doesn't bounce around on your back. If you're someone who likes aggressive trail riding where you're hitting jumps, drops, etc. and going fast then you'd appreciate not having a pack swinging around independently of your torso like it's following two seconds behind you.

I also like having the bottom of my shirt open to air, which is something you don't get if you use anything with a waist belt.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/uswe-patriot-15-and-airborne-15-backpacks--review-2017.html

·
Snow Dog
3,777 Posts
It's in the harness. The pack stays so secure and doesn't bounce around on your back. If you're someone who likes aggressive trail riding where you're hitting jumps, drops, etc. and going fast then you'd appreciate not having a pack swinging around independently of your torso like it's following two seconds behind you.

I also like having the bottom of my shirt open to air, which is something you don't get if you use anything with a waist belt.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/uswe-patriot-15-and-airborne-15-backpacks--review-2017.html

hmmm I like the looks of all that I read about them. My current pack is still good, but it is a company that I will keep in mind for the future.

Sweat is not a real concern with me since I am a sweaty mess no matter what I have on, or how I ride...i am more concerned with durability and packing space

·
Registered
187 Posts
Finally ready to retire my ten year old Camelbak Mule, the back panel has rubbed my lumbar raw for the last time.

Trying to see what's out there, how they ride, hold up, etc...

What's everyonee's favorites?

I as looking at Osprey Raptor and Platypus Duthie.

Thanks.
Was in your place couple months ago. Osprey Raptor it is. No regrets. Highly recommended.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Osprey Raptor 14...mine is 5 years old now, and it has been awesome! Replaced an old Camelback. I bought it because it is much easier to fill, it has much more storage options as far as pockets go. I wear it at work too in the summer, so it gets a lot of use. It has a 3 liter bladder

Osprey is reeeaalll good about replacing parts. When the clear rubber nozzle thing wore out, I e mailed Osprey asking for a new plastic cover. They sent 3 for free...I have heard that they send other parts the same way.
Can echo this.. Had the clear bite valve portion (soft portion) wear out on me and couldnt seem to find replacements on their site so I contacted them. Response back was "what is your mailing address" and a few days later I had a package with 3 new bite valves free of charge. Last year when I crashed in Chico and destroyed the valve and tore a whole in the rubber tube I contacted them. Seems due to a lawsuit from Camelbak they had to change their bladder so they did not have "parts" that would fit mine anymore. However, they offered me a 30% my entire cart if I purchased a new bladder from them. This ended up being perfect because the new bladders have a tube that disconnects at the shoulder and then a secondary tube that goes down to the base of the bladder. No more have to take out the entire drinking tube with the bladder when you remove from the bag.

Other than that I have had zero issues with the pack itself. Nice storage, lots of pockets, plenty of room for all kinds of stuff and comfortable.

·
Registered
897 Posts

I have the Raptor 14 as well. I chose it over the Mule NV a few years back. The two were very similar, but the Raptor just felt more comfortable. I closed the clip on the chest strap in my car door and they sent me two for free to replace it. I really like the detachable tool wrap as well.

I did a review of my findings on the two back then.

https://forums.mtbr.com/nutrition-h...rey-raptor-14-vs-camelbak-mule-nv-990978.html

·
Village Idiot
155 Posts
I just finished my first ride with the Camelback Rogue I bought recently. I was extremely pleased with it. Along with the good hydration hardware, ample capacity and good fit/function, it has 2 zipper pockets which perfectly fit the stuff I always carry - wallet, phone, car keys, bandana, about 2' of toilet paper (for me, the most essential item - lol), and 3-way hex wrench. It has an open "pocket" where you can stuff a shirt, etc., plus a tire pump.

I had a Cabela's gift card, and got it on clearance there for $52.50. Not sure what the normal price is (or was). Maybe it has been discontinued.

I love the thing, and it fits my needs perfectly.

https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/R01015--Rogue?color=bc30b194e56840b2a4326a45c8fa6c04

·
Snow Dog
3,777 Posts
I just finished my first ride with the Camelback Rogue I bought recently. I was extremely pleased with it. Along with the good hydration hardware, ample capacity and good fit/function, it has 2 zipper pockets which perfectly fit the stuff I always carry - wallet, phone, car keys, bandana, about 2' of toilet paper (for me, the most essential item - lol), and 3-way hex wrench. It has an open "pocket" where you can stuff a shirt, etc., plus a tire pump.

I had a Cabela's gift card, and got it on clearance there for $52.50. Not sure what the normal price is (or was). Maybe it has been discontinued.

I love the thing, and it fits my needs perfectly.

https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/R01015--Rogue?color=bc30b194e56840b2a4326a45c8fa6c04
toilet paper...good call!! I need to start bringing that as well...my bowels hate me for sure...gonna go put that in the pack right now

·
Village Idiot
155 Posts
toilet paper...good call!! I need to start bringing that as well...my bowels hate me for sure...gonna go put that in the pack right now
I don't need it often, probably because I almost always carry it. But I have found that if I don't have it, without fail, within 5 minutes of me going into the woods, nature calls. I learned my lesson on that.

Good thing I'm immune to poison ivy. I really am immune to it on my legs and arms. But I am not willing to try wiping with those leaves. :D

·
Boom bap ambassador
920 Posts
I had a Dakine Drafter for several years before that until one of the zippers gave up the ghost.

The Hydrapak bladders in them would periodically spring a tiny leak near the hose connection point and piss water all over during a ride or in the trunk on the way to the ride.

I'm sure this had to do with storing the bladder in the freezer when it was not in use but happened on three different bladders.

Replaced those bladders with Platypus bladders in the Dakine and they were bomber.

When my Dakine gave up the ghost I went with a Duthie as I really liked the bladders so why not double down.

Over two years of ownership the Duthie has been really solid and has some nice features like a rain cover, venting and spacing to keep your back from getting soaked, etc.

Looks like Mountain Steals has a Duthie 10 for $80 right now so you can get just about two of them for the cost of one Osprey.

You don't see many critiques of Osprey packs so I'm sure they are high quality and great as well...just depends on how much you want to spend and what bells and whistles you might want.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.