Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to get a hydration pack for a while now and am at the same time gradually getting some more protection stuff that I can use in normal riding.

Something I've found a few of online is hydration packs with back protecters built into them. Are they actually of any use or just a gimick? If it offers any extra protection without sacrificing comfort then I'll consider it worth having, if it's just going to shift around and be uncomfortable then I'll skip it.

Anyone got one or used one at all and give me some information as to what they're like to ride with?

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
my standard camelbak very much saved me in a crash! landed on sharp rocks back first and rolled. messed up my shoulder, arm, face, legs.. back was fine. i would have been in extremely bad shape without the pack.

its a pretty smart idea to have some sort of spine protector. id consider one if i was camelbak shopping, and they were comfortable. but as-is, i feel reasonably protected with a normal pack.

·
Riiiiiide...
690 Posts
A medium sized backpack is probably as good a spine protector as are the dedicated products, especially with a few things in it. A normal skinny camelback though, probably not AS good, but still some protection.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sounds like a gimmick to me. I think the backpack itself is enough to protect your back, unless it is a really small, water only one, like psycro mentioned.

My camelbak HAWG protected my back just fine. Too bad I wasn't wearing one on my hip or elbow, those broke. Back was fine though, and the bag or bladder didn't even look like they had been in a wreck.

I guess if you wanted to be super sure about your back, you could go with a pack with a back protector, but personally, I wouldn't let that narrow my choices of packs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the one I've found with it looks like the type of shape I want anyways. Tbh I've never really paid attention to what type of crashs generally damage your back. I'm guessing backpacks will protect you from smaller objects, but won't stop you back bending the wrong way as much.

I only want about a 10l one so it won't have huge amounts in it, only something warm and some food.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I doubt anything is going to stop your back from bending the wrong way.
A hydration pack is going to spread the impact and pad the area but it is also going to be a bump and depending on what's in it and how large maybe a big one.

A protector, made from plastic plates on the other hand should be better about spreading the impact over a larger area and hold up to impaling sorts of rock formations better than the essentially soft armor that is a normal hydro pack. Blunt stuff there may not be much difference.

·
Registered
954 Posts
which models are those hydration packs with the back protector.
Back protector should be snug fit. If the ones on the hydro packs moves around with the pack, then the effectiveness of the protection is compromised when u fall and land on your back.

·
Ride and Smile
736 Posts
Dheorl said:
Well the one I'm looking at are some from deuter.

You say if it moves around with the pack, but I'm hoping to find a pack that doesn't move around.
I have a Deuter and I like it a lot. The protection is superior than other hydration packs and it does not move around on my back. I highly recommend it

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
axolotl said:
I have a Deuter and I like it a lot. The protection is superior than other hydration packs and it does not move around on my back. I highly recommend it
Thanks, good to hear. Which model did you get and what type of riding do you use it for?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
the deuter attack is a specially designed backpack for the freerider, it has a back shield kidney protectors and it has special web attachments on the outside that you can strap the kitchen sink to, i use it with my pressure suit so i can have my water on my back and dont have to wear my backshield, having said all that though, any decent sized backback will protect your back anyway

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure they still make the attack, can't see it on their website anywhere. Is one thin jumper and a few cm of water really much protection without a plastic plate of some sort?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
darkest_fugue said:
they probably dont make it anymore actually, to tell you the truth my old simpler deuter did a fine job of protecting my back in a crash once, it has no built in back shield but my back got nothing
Do you rekon anything would have happened to your back if it wasn't there though apart from a few little bruises?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a backpack in San Antonio to ride with. It was made by Magellan and it had a hard plastic frame in it and it held 72 oz of water. I bought it thinking it would provide a little back protection and the first day I used it, it saved me from taking a lot of damage. I fell in an area with a lot of rocks and i rolled to let the pack take the abuse and it worked just as i thought it would....however, it didnt prevent the bike from falling on me and the handle bars drive into my chest... I would have most like had to be helped out of there had i not had the pack. It works well!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.