Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How quickly do you empty and clean out your hydration pack after riding? Do you remove the remaining water (if any) immediately?

S6

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ‘am new to riding but an old hat at hydration packs. (Army x 6 yrs) If you are constantly topping off the resi with clean water you can go days with out needing to empty the water out. Once your done for the day just dump out the water, I would put paper towels in the resi to pick up the left over water and also blow into the bit valve to flush out the tube. Than pull those paper towels out and put some clean dry paper towelsl inside and leave the fill cap open for the resi to air dry.:thumbsup:

Matt

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Typically...

Shad6Bones said:
How quickly do you empty and clean out your hydration pack after riding? Do you remove the remaining water (if any) immediately?

S6
during a riding summer season I just empty the water in the bladder if there's little left and toss it in the fridge then refill it the night before a ride. I clean it once a season before I start riding and with keeping it in the fridge no other cleaning is necessary as long as it's just water I use.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I just toss the bladder in the fridge when I get home, with whatever water may be left in it. Then the next time I use I'll either just top it off or empty it and refill depending on how long it's been in there.

I've stuck my Wife's empty hydration bladder in the freezer (tip I learned here) when I know she won't be using it again for a while, you just have to make sure that you defrost it ahead of time so you can get the cap off ;)

By doing this I hardly ever have to clean my bladders...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Keep it full. as long as you're riding regularly it stays fine.

·
I'm on fire.
304 Posts
Gross dudes, don't be lazy.

Clean the mouth piece with soap and water, empty out and rinse any remaining contents, put in freezer. Takes <5 minutes total. Fresh water every time. It'll make the bladder last a lot longer, and is especially key if you ever mix in gatorade or anything like that.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I only get to ride once or twice a week so I clean it after every ride (I just don't have the time to ride every day). I disasemble the tube, resi and mouth piece then rinse with water then hang to dry. I put a folded coat hanger inside the resi so it will dry better. I live in a moist humid climate and anything not carefully dried will grow mold quickly. I used to leave it and black mold would grow in the tube part. Bleach and storing in sunlight will get rid of the mold.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
yes it's a camelbak. You just yank the mouthpiece off the blue tube and yank the blue tube off the resi. It helps if the tube is warm and flexible from warm water. I don't disasemble the actual mouth piece, just rinse it after I get it off the blue tube.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Best way to clean your res

I have been using blatters backpacking for years and the best thing to clean them with is denture cleaner tablets. Polydent brand is what I think I'm using now but it doesn't matter, just be sure to rinse well or it will have a denture taste to itl

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
spend more time riding and less time cleaning. cycling water through while riding more keeps it cleaner. After a while, I will clean with bleech. Haven't died yet ;) I never put sugar crap in it though cause that feeds the bacteria.

·
I live to bike
2,428 Posts
I only use water, so I rarely ever clean it. I just pour out what water is in it and refill before riding. I don't even bother emptying it after a ride, just empty it before the next ride. maybe gross to some, but I don't get sick very easily.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts