Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for racing or hard training, what does everyone else use and how well would you rate it?

i generally stick to water and powerbar gels, but do get cramps in longer or hotter races.
i generally can't stomach sports drinks too well, but will use them watered down on hot races (2 hrs+), gatorade or similar.

so what do you guys use?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I only use supplements on race day (not sure if that works for eveyone).

1. Endurolytes
2. Nuun (for 6hr+ events)
3. Sustained Energy
4. Hammer Gel
5. Sport Legs
6. Ibuprofen (for 6hr+ events)

hydration starts after your last race....it takes days to get "re-hydrated" after a you get "de-hydrated".

·
Registered
36 Posts
kevbikemad said:
for racing or hard training, what does everyone else use and how well would you rate it?

i generally stick to water and powerbar gels, but do get cramps in longer or hotter races.
i generally can't stomach sports drinks too well, but will use them watered down on hot races (2 hrs+), gatorade or similar.

so what do you guys use?
Your cramping problem may be linked to an electrolyte deficit. I would definitely try GU2O as your sport drink. It tastes like a diluted version of Gatorade, with way less sugar and a lot more electrolytes.
I have been using it for the last 4 seasons during XC and longer endurance races. The taste is good and doesn't upset my stomach the way other sport drinks do.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I believe that powerbar gels already have electrolytes so the sport drink may not make any difference. Up until now, i've been running on fluids only during races (electrolyte/carb sports drink), but recently have found myself not wanting to drink it sometimes as it doesn't go down well at race intensity. Next race i'm going to try a different strategy - run on water and knock down an energy gel instead every lap. Tried this in training and found it much easier to digest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts