Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing the Breckenridge 100 this weekend and am totally geeking out over how much water to carry. I live in Florida and train in high heat and humidity. I drink about twice as much during summer than in cooler months (30 oz/hr in summer vs. 20 oz/hr or less at other times).

I've read that you tend to dehydrate more easily at altitude. Can it be any worse than riding when it's 90 degrees and 90% humidity? I'd love to get by with a 70 oz bladder and 2 bottles for each loop. The safe bet would be to go with a 100 oz bladder, but that thing's sooooo heavy. I'm planning on 3-4 hours per loop.

Anybody have input on this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Might not need enough for the whole loop

IF Harvey said:
I'm doing the Breckenridge 100 this weekend and am totally geeking out over how much water to carry. I live in Florida and train in high heat and humidity. I drink about twice as much during summer than in cooler months (30 oz/hr in summer vs. 20 oz/hr or less at other times).

I've read that you tend to dehydrate more easily at altitude. Can it be any worse than riding when it's 90 degrees and 90% humidity? I'd love to get by with a 70 oz bladder and 2 bottles for each loop. The safe bet would be to go with a 100 oz bladder, but that thing's sooooo heavy. I'm planning on 3-4 hours per loop.

Anybody have input on this?
Harvey,

I e-mailed the race promoter over the weekend, and he indicated that there were intermediate aid stations out on the loops. I did not get all the information I want - like greatest distance between two aids - but I don't think you need to be self sufficient for 100% of each loop. You might want to try e-mailing him yourself for additional info.

Also, I am going to give Liquid Endurance from Hammer Gel a try. You use it for three days prior to the race, and it helps your body retain water, or stay "super" hydrated I guess. Sounds perfect for the trip to high altitude. The following link will take you directly to Hammer's web page and get you 15% off your first order: http://www.e-caps.com/affiliates/67406. Just a suggestion.
 

·
Team Velveeta™
Joined
·
3,079 Posts
be careful about conducting experiments during a race

Team Green Steve said:
...Also, I am going to give Liquid Endurance from Hammer Gel a try. You use it for three days prior to the race, and it helps your body retain water, or stay "super" hydrated I guess. Sounds perfect for the trip to high altitude. The following link will take you directly to Hammer's web page and get you 15% off your first order: http://www.e-caps.com/affiliates/67406. Just a suggestion.
Products can be a good thing, and I'm a loyal Hammer customer, so I also recommend their stuff.

But, use caution with trying something you've never used before during a race. It's always better to learn how your body will react during training rides, so that if something goes wrong you won't have any reluctance to just stop using a product.

Personally, I've had great luck with Hammer products, but there are some rules I've started using as I've understood how it all works in my body. All of my learning has taken place during long training rides or recreational rides. I've had some bloopers. Luckily not during a race.

All that being said, hydration is more effective if you use something other than just clear water (but one of my rules is: always have some clear water with you).

High-elevation efforts do dehydrate you faster than low-elevation, high-humidity efforts. You may feel more comfortable with the level of heat and low humidity in the mountains, but you aspirate (breath away) much more water in the high and dry than you do when it's humid. And dehydration is one of the biggest factors leading to altitude sickness. Your blood can't carry as much oxygen when you're dehydrated.

Now let those who really know about exercise physiology keep me honest...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Team Green Steve said:
I e-mailed the race promoter over the weekend, and he indicated that there were intermediate aid stations out on the loops. I did not get all the information I want - like greatest distance between two aids - but I don't think you need to be self sufficient for 100% of each loop.
That would be sweet, and a contradiction of what's on their web site. I (and others) have emailed for info and haven't been very successful, so I'll just bring both my camelbacks, find out the scoop at the riders meeting and make a game-time decision.

Steve, does this mean that I'll see you there?

TomP, that bit about quicker dehydration was just the confirmation I needed. Thanks.
 

·
Category Winner
Joined
·
6,100 Posts
IF Harvey said:
That would be sweet, and a contradiction of what's on their web site. I (and others) have emailed for info and haven't been very successful, so I'll just bring both my camelbacks, find out the scoop at the riders meeting and make a game-time decision.

Steve, does this mean that I'll see you there?

TomP, that bit about quicker dehydration was just the confirmation I needed. Thanks.
Good luck this weekend Harvey. Always go with multiple plans. I had a billion water bottles and a Wingnut at Michigan (lot of good it did me). Did you vote for me/Bad Idea Racing yet??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, TD. I'll have a beer or three for you Saturday night. I'm psyched up for this one. It's been, like, a whole month since I've done a hundie and I think I'm starting to go through withdrawals. :rolleyes:

I've been kinda busy geeking out over my trip preparation, but I promise that voting for Bad Idea Racing will be the #1 item on my agenda while playing the airport waiting game this weekend. :thumbsup:

At least now I've made a decision not to decide until I get there. My wife will be very happy not to listen to me debate the pros and cons of lighter weight vs. carrying capacity for the 15th consecutive night. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eddie O said:
You should get a Wingnut Pack and carry that, everyone is doing it :cool: Good luck & give me a call...lost my numbers again :rolleyes:

Eddie O
It's a little late for that. Besides, I was waiting for you to hook me up. ;)

So, you lost or wrecked your cell phone again. :madman: This time I'm gonna make you guess. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I emailed the promoter about the aid station issue. Here's what he said:

There will be 3 aide stations on the course where you will be able to get water and or HEED energy drink.
He didn't say where they'll be, but it looks like the logistics just got easier. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
IF Harvey said:
I emailed the promoter about the aid station issue. Here's what he said:

He didn't say where they'll be, but it looks like the logistics just got easier. :cool:
He told me the same thing. I asked for the greatest distance between any two aid stations, and never heard back. Oh well. Hydration is only important at the after-race party.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top