Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Uncle
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of options out there for sure. Have been a bit obsessed with Wingnut's packs for a decade perhaps, but unfortunately they don't seem to move the volume of product that would allow stockists nearby. Wondering if anyone here is using one and what they like or don't like about it. Asking in NorCal forum just to see if any of the folks I might have met over the years are using one or have prior experience.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Lots of options out there for sure. Have been a bit obsessed with Wingnut's packs for a decade perhaps, but unfortunately they don't seem to move the volume of product that would allow stockists nearby. Wondering if anyone here is using one and what they like or don't like about it. Asking in NorCal forum just to see if any of the folks I might have met over the years are using one or have prior experience.
I used one for years, very light and durable. Eventually I traded back to a standard camelback so I could carry more gear. I had the splitback in silver sail cloth. It had a couple of small pockets on each side and web belts and shoulder straps. My only issue with it was that the top belt would conflict with my jersey and become uncomfortable if I was sweating excessively.

That said they are really nice packs, last forever, and are unique. Something that in 2005 wasn't as much of an issue is that there isn't much room to put a smart phone in them as well as some tool packs. I used to put my pump in with the bladder. I think with the camelback bladders you can get that have removable hoses this would be an even better pack. That's the best I can do on that. '

I use this now: https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/m..._LR_10?color=a876afc09fb249dbab0abecbeb65cf3c

really similar design, just with more storage. Much heavier though.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have one. I liked the pack build and light weight. I wasn’t crazy about the hose management. Wingnut never made their own bladders. Eventually Camelbak started making lowrider packs and bladders. Now it’s cool to use a fanny pack.

I still like the wingnut pack more, but the camelbak water system and pack is better. I still keep the wingnut pack in my car as a backup light weight backpack.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Their Adventure Pack worked well, including on AZT though the zipper was no match for the ravenous squirrels in Grand Canyon. I recently scored a Two Point Five from evdog and trying to figure out why he sold it. I like it, but like my Adventure Pack the bungee can get hooked on your saddle nose when you standover if it's not managed well.

Nice, innovative gear, designs ahead of their time. Glad they don't force me to buy a bladder/hose. Lightweight, durable and mostly comfortable (harness of the adventure pack has been the subject of discussion). The 2.5 is an ideal size for up to all day in summer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.