Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While riding my Ripmo V1 I had a nasty rock strike over the weekend and sustained a large crack in the downtube just in front of the bottom bracket and just off of the downtube protector. The rock actually cut the corner of the downtube protector off. I took the bike into Squatch Bikes in Brevard, NC and they confirmed it was toast and laid out my options. Once I got home from the trip I got in contact with the warranty department at Ibis and it was easy breezy to get a crash replacement frame. I did have to pay for it which I was expecting but it was discounted as stated in their warranty description. They are out of 19" Ripmo V1 front triangles which would have been the cheapest way to go but I was able to pay more and get an entire V2 frame, minus shock. I took a risk and rode the bike some more that same weekend since I was out of town on vacation and didn't want to sit back and watch my buddies ride but I kept the tires on the ground. I had to send the rear triangle back to Ibis and destroy the front triangle which I did with joy. It turns out that the head of a hammer doesn't do much damage to carbon even with a hard hit but the claw goes right through it. I also sent a pic to Ibis showing that I cut the BB out. Now I'm considering getting some sort of Kydex to make an extended frame protector for that area on the new frame.

Attachments

·
SPECIALizED
576 Posts
Did you take the downtube protector off? My wife's Mojo 3 has a downtube protector and it's pretty much built like an off-road skid plate.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Tb3 down tube protector is a piece of thin rubber stuck on. I actually tore a hole through it on my first ride 3 years ago.
I purchased 2 sheets of kydex, maybe 8x12? It was a kit for a gun holster. Heated the kydex in a toaster as per the instructions in the package. Then simply molded it, by pressing it against the down tube. At the correct temp it is very pliable. I molded it before removing the original guard to avoid any issues with the heat against carbon.
I cut it to size with tin snips. It was a pretty ugly job, so I sanded it down to make it look decent. I was originally aiming to have it wrap around the chris king bottom bracket but I botched it with the tin snips.Removed the original guard and cleaned the down tube. The guard is attached to the bike with thick 3m double sided tape.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tb3 down tube protector is a piece of thin rubber stuck on. I actually tore a hole through it on my first ride 3 years ago.
I purchased 2 sheets of kydex, maybe 8x12? It was a kit for a gun holster. Heated the kydex in a toaster as per the instructions in the package. Then simply molded it, by pressing it against the down tube. At the correct temp it is very pliable. I molded it before removing the original guard to avoid any issues with the heat against carbon.
I cut it to size with tin snips. It was a pretty ugly job, so I sanded it down to make it look decent. I was originally aiming to have it wrap around the chris king bottom bracket but I botched it with the tin snips.Removed the original guard and cleaned the down tube. The guard is attached to the bike with thick 3m double sided tape.
I just bought this in 0.093" (12x24). I saw another thread on PB where the guy used a piece about 4" wide and allowed the Kydex to wrap up the side of the downtube and sort of snap into place even though he still used tape to hold it. That's my plan with the new frame as my damage was not under the downtube but on the side of it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I cracked the rear triangle (rock strike) of my Ripley V3 on a Sunday and had the replacement in hand by that Wednesday. I think that a crash replacement is much easier to take care of than a warranty but it was beyond fast for me. I haven't had a warranty issue.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got a short ride on the V2 frame replacement yesterday after having the parts moved over. As most reviews have said if you've got a V1 and you are happy it's not worth upgrading to a V2 and I'd agree. I did notice the change in leverage curve because I hit a few jumps and drops that I've hit many times on the V1 and the bottom out is not as harsh on the V2. I still have the largest volume spacer in the shock and for now the plan is to leave it that way. The slacker head angle is not noticeable to me yet but maybe I'll appreciate it once I get the chance to ride some more advanced downhill trails.
It's 30.4 lbs just as pictured, minus the water bottle.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made this downtube protector out of Kydex that I bought on Amazon. It came out pretty nice but my plan is to secure it with a velcro strap on the rides where chances of a rock strike are higher and then remove it all other times. It stays on by itself with no adhesive but it would fall off during a ride if not taped on or secured.
Automotive tire Bicycle fork Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle part

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The more time you spend with a heat gun molding it and using sand paper to smooth out the edges the better it looks. I like the way the bike looks better without it on there and I may make a second version that's longer and narrower so it doesn't wrap up the sides of the downtube and blends in better with the bike but then it doesn't offer the same protection so it's a trade off. The new HighTower has a protector high up on the downtube which I assume is to prevent the frame from getting scratched when shuttling on a truck tailgate and I think it's pretty slick and blends in well with the frame.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
800 Posts
I must say, the "bug zapper blue" on the Ripmo is an awesome color, the bike looks great.

I really wish they used the same blue for the Ripley V4, the baby blue they used for the Ripley is terrible.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I must say, the "bug zapper blue" on the Ripmo is an awesome color, the bike looks great.

I really wish they used the same blue for the Ripley V4, the baby blue they used for the Ripley is terrible.
Agreed. I didn't realize how much better it looks than the V1 Ripmo in blue until I saw it in person.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts