Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any experience with the Hutchy tire sealeant? The reason I ask is when I had my Blur LT built this fall with my fav UST Spiders, I was going to have them put some Stan's in it (I use it for all tubeless apps). According to Hutchinson, this stuff might last 2 years because it doesn't dry like latex. When I use to live in SoCa, I had to refill/clean Stans at least every three months because of the dryness. Now, living Georgia, Stan's seems to never dry. I recently looked at my four month old Spiders with the Hutchy stuff, it looks clean. Not the usual build up with Stan's. And, I have only lost 2 psi in the past 3 months with the Hutch stuff. Thanks for any feedback

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
So far so good

Spiders on UST rims.

I didn't use any goop for most of the season, my first on UST. Developed a slow leak in my rear tire.

Used the goop, so far not a hint of a leak.

Seems like good stuff.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I just got a bottle but wish I hadn't. It cost $15 for a bottle that doesn't hold enough to do both 2.1" tires. I'll have to get a second bottle or use less than the recommended abount. Might be great stuff but I think the price is obscene, especially compared to Stans.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much is needed per tire?

mbmojo said:
I just got a bottle but wish I hadn't. It cost $15 for a bottle that doesn't hold enough to do both 2.1" tires. I'll have to get a second bottle or use less than the recommended abount. Might be great stuff but I think the price is obscene, especially compared to Stans.
Hey Mojo,

As I didn't purchase the Hutchy Sealant (my LBS put in there as a freebie, but I did pay quite a bit for a tricked out Blur LT), how much is required for each tire? One bottle won't do two tires? Man, if that is the case, that is some expensive stuff. I tried looking at Hutchinson web page but there were no instructions regarding how to use the stuff. Does is it say on the bottle how long the stuff should last?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Moo Shoo Pork said:
how much is required for each tire? One bottle won't do two tires? Man, if that is the case, that is some expensive stuff...
The bottle is labeled 60 g but not by volume. The label has 10 ml volume calibrations on it. Reading upside down, which is how the calibration marks are labeled, and starting with the first mark as 1, the level comes up to about 10.5. It isn't clear how much is in the neck. Turned right side up, you can kinda guess at about 12 ml, but the first mark is much closer to the bottom than the height of the other marks - so I have to guess that there's somewhere between 10.5 and maybe 12 ml in the bottle.

Label says:

"Prevents and repairs punctures of tubless and tubless-light bicycle tires. Long lasting exclusive formula (up to 2 years). Only 60g per tire."

26 x 1.60 - 40 ml
26 x 1.80 - 50 ml
26 x 2.00 - 60 ml
26 x 2.20 - 70 ml
26 x 2.40 - 80 ml
26 x 2.60 - 100 ml
26 x 2.80 - 120 ml​

So taking the bottle weight of 60 g and "Only 60g per tire.", I'd say, yeah, it only does one tire. I'm running Sypder 2.1s so I fifure I need 70 ml per tire, so either way, there's not enough, according to Hutchinson, to do both tires. MSRP is $18 and Blue Sky Cycling has it for $14.98 (http://www.blueskycycling.com/product1478_53_-Hutchinson-Protect-Air-Repair-Kit.htm ).

I wouldn't have bought it if I'd had known I needed two bottles. Stan's got some issues with boogers and such and my Spiders developed a whole s-load of tiny leaks right on the mold seam in the middle of both tires. I don't know if Stans was starting to dissolve them or they were just molded badly but I wanted to try something else. I'll probably just use 1/2 the bottle in each tire and if I start developing leaks, I'll dump it and try something else.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Just in: Feb 2006 Mountain Bike Action

Protect'Air was unable to permanently seal a single thorn. Even after we emptied the entire contents of the bottle -- double the required amount -- the puncture would not stay sealed for more than 15 minutes of riding.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow!

mbmojo said:
Just in: Feb 2006 Mountain Bike Action
Wow! I have subsription to MBAction so that should be in the mail soon. Makes me think I should just go back to Stan's. never really had any problems with inner tire issues, but I would take the boogers out evertime I added sealant. thanks again for the heads up, mojo.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Moo Shoo Pork said:
Wow! I have subsription to MBAction so that should be in the mail soon. Makes me think I should just go back to Stan's. never really had any problems with inner tire issues, but I would take the boogers out evertime I added sealant. thanks again for the heads up, mojo.
I'm not sure Stan's is the answer. I just replied to Shiggy's Tire Sealant Update thread and another forum member had the same problem I did with pin holes after using Stans.

I'm hoping his tests with the Pennzoil Fix a Flat are successful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.