Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Nokian NBX for the past couple of seasons and overall have been quite pleased with their performance. Seeing has I need new ones again I’m thinking something else for a change and Hutchinson Spider’s sound like they might be a good alternative. Looking at their construction I get a feeling that the transition knobs being quite small and fragile looking would not last to long going over rocks and such. For those that own them, is that the case?

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
My friend rides the UST spiders on his '05 salty and they didn't last long as a rear tire before the spaces between the knobbies started to abrade quickly and the sealent he uses started to earn its worth. Its a grippy tire but not a long lasting one if you ride on broken rocks, as a front he seems to like it. I too like the NBX but an now ready sold on the maxxis Minnion 2.3 40dero, very fast tire due to ramped knobbies for such a soft tire. They are f/r specific and the front tread is simply amazing in its ability to hook up in just about anything but clay mud. The rear hooks up and stops almost too good. The tire actually sticks to stuff and since its slow rebound it takes away the rattle in broken rock making ones suspension really smooth out. Its not UST but probably will hold stans fine, its not too heavy but very puncture resistant since its classified as a DH tire. But the 2.3 has lighter sidewalls and makes a great trail tire. Only bummer seems they are being discontinued as a 2.3, but they have a 2.7also. Jensons has then for 10$ each if you buy 4. They originally were 40$ per. I just ordered more since the rear tire looks to be about a 300 mile tire, front looks to go at least 600m. I can clear steap technical climbs with this tire that I couldn't with the NBX,that sold me cause I thought the NBX was a excellent trail tire too. good luck

·
Registered
765 Posts
spiders

I've been using one on the reare (2.3) since the first of March, and it has held up great so far here in AZ. The trails are very rocky, and the tire is riddled with cactus thorn holes, but I use flat-attack (like stans), and it has held air great. I was kinda worried cause the tire seems kinda thin, but have been suprised at how it holds up to the rocks here. Not sure about wet riding though.
I just got another one today at the local Supergo for 21 bucks on sale. Couldn't pass up that deal.
Later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.