Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, I have been trying to find a good tire that offers low rolling resistance for cross country racing, but still has good cornering and braking power. I have narrowed my results, based on reviews, to these two tires, the Hutchinson Python and the Maxxis Crossmark. I would like to hear your thoughts on these tires and find out which would be better to buy.

thx:thumbsup:

·
Registered
779 Posts
crossmark is a faster roller and offers a little more protection than the newer version of the python. however, the crossmark is VERY sensitive when it comes to adjusting psi. it performs better at lower pressures, but only in a narrow window ~31-34psi
the python brakes better, however i wouldnt trust it on the front for the life of me. especially in any rocky areas.
so....if your looking to outfit your rig with one or the other for BOTH front and rear i would go with the crossmark for a better front performer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You may want to check out the reviews here on MTBR for what the riders have to say. There is more than one comparison to the python and they thought more highly of the python. I'm kinda researching as well. I have been running the python on the rear with stans with great results. Things I like: little $, success with stans, low weight, low rolling resistance. Of course, I am always looking to find a better option. Take a look at the Schwable Racing Ralf.

·
NormalNorm
935 Posts
I had the crossmarks and wasn't a fan of them. I like the Pythons better, but try the Specialized Fastraks-Sworks version. Best tire i've ever used....No weaknesses.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes indeed! The Fast Trak is my short list front tire of choice! I'm using that for the front right now!(It probably is a great rear as well). I like the python on the rear for those few grams of weight savings!

·
NormalNorm
935 Posts
xterraracer said:
Yes indeed! The Fast Trak is my short list front tire of choice! I'm using that for the front right now!(It probably is a great rear as well). I like the python on the rear for those few grams of weight savings!
If I remember right, the Fastraks(ust-sworks)weighed 630grams and the Pythons weighed 590grams. But the Fastraks grip so much better than the Pythons and roll just as good. The one downfall is that they seem to wear pretty quick(softer compound?) I've put about 400 miles/600kms on them and have lots of tread life left. So what i do is use my Pythons for everyday use and the Fastraks for racing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
videl_majin_cold45 said:
thx guys, i've looked at the reviews for IRC Mythos too, but the tread just looked too beefy to roll as good as some of the other tires I have seen.
I use the Mythos XC front and a Python on the rear - works well for me.
The Mythos is a good tyre but I find the knobs break away a little too easily, where I used to have lots of squarish knobs there are now lots of odd shapes. Still works well enough through corners for me, but I can't say I'm confident at 'railing' my way through corners yet.

I am looking at finding a better front/rear combination too.... but I've still got 2 spare Pythons in the garage to get through first... shouldn't take too long, they wear fairly fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.