Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran Python UST's on Mavic 26" wheels. Great setup for me at the time. Can anyone compare the 26" to 29" version?

In the process of rebuilding my tubed 29" wheelset to go tubeless on the geared squishy bike. Considering running Pythons or similar. Currently run Dry-X on the SS and they roll great for midwest conditions. Will be mounted to Stan's Arch rims. Tusen Takk!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Been so long since I've run Python's in 26 that I couldn't give a good comparison. They seem about the same.

29 version for me so far... roll fast, burped front, holds air well. On Stans Arch tubeless was a breeze to mount up. I'm not so jazzed on them for cornering. To be fair I'm only running it up front, got Little Albert on the rear.

Trade ya Python's for those XDX. ;)

·
NRJP
13 Posts
Sorry for digging up this old thread, but anyway...

I just built up a Singular Swift as my first 29" wheeled bike. I got some Python tires for it, as I had memories of them being quite awesome on 26's. I've had them on a couple of bikes before and liked them. The ones I have now work well too, but as mentioned, cornering traction is a bit weird. They're especially dangerous on loose over hardpack... They work fine on grass and such, but all tires do that pretty much. For normal riding with moderate cornering they're probably fine. But I think I need some bigger/bite'ier tires...

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
EuroPete said:
Sorry for digging up this old thread, but anyway...

I just built up a Singular Swift as my first 29" wheeled bike. I got some Python tires for it, as I had memories of them being quite awesome on 26's. I've had them on a couple of bikes before and liked them. The ones I have now work well too, but as mentioned, cornering traction is a bit weird. They're especially dangerous on loose over hardpack... They work fine on grass and such, but all tires do that pretty much. For normal riding with moderate cornering they're probably fine. But I think I need some bigger/bite'ier tires...
You might try dumping a bit of air presure in those pythons. I have found that it helped me in hardpack with a bit of scree on top to get much better cornering performance. I was running something in the low to mid 20's psi, if I recall correctly, in those circumstances.

Also, you might try looking at the following tires that combine traction in corners and fast rolling in different ways: Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25, WTB Vulpine 2.0, and Kenda Smallblock 8 2.1.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.