Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ow!
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 50 miles on a set of Hutchinson Cougars 2.2 tubeless ready hardskins, so I will give a little review for those interested.

Mounted them front and rear on the XM819s of my hardtail. I could not get them to mount using a floor pump, without or with soapy water. I used my compressor and soapy water, and had to pump up to at least 35 psi for a few seconds to get that "pop". But they seem set once mounted. I use Stan's sealant.

Weight: 680g.
Casing width 51mm/2.0in.
Tread width 53.5mm/2.1in.
Casing height 45mm.
Casing seems somewhat thin, but it is a hardskin(?)

My hardtail trails in the Tucson, AZ, area are typically loose rock, imbedded rock, gravel, loose gravel/sand over rock, and sand in washes. Specifically on my hardtail I do a lot of riding at Sweetwater, Fantasy Island, and west Tucson Mountain Park (Ironwood). Also, this past weekend I rode in the Sonoran Preserve in north Phoenix (exit Jomax Road). This is a very smooth and wide single track with somewhat long grunts up and very fast downs.

Me?: I consider my self an "intermediate" rider technically. Not too fast because I weigh 260 lbs. at 6' 3" height, but I get up the hills eventually. I generally stay in the 32t ring, using all of the 11-32 cassette (but had to use that 22t at the Sonoran Preserve).

How did they do?
The rear digs in sufficiently on the short ups, which is pretty much my only requirement of a rear tire on the hardtail. The Fire XCs I use dig in better, but the Cougar seemed to dig in as well as a Nevegal I have used. The Cougar didn't seem to side slip on the rocks any more than other tires I have used on the hardtail.
The front was OK in turns, but I am used to wider tires, and either "stickier" (Kenda 2.3 BGs) or "grabbier" (Hutch 2.3 Barracudas) tires. Hitting a turn was predictable, and I felt it release gradually, as opposed to suddenly. It did not seem to matter how I rode it, whether to let it float around a turn, or push it in the turn (but I was not confident about pushing it much).
They are faster than the tires I usually use. This was greatly obvious riding the Sonoran Preserve, which was not technical. The downhills were very fast, but the tires stuck to the smooth trail well, and predictably.
Tire condition: It has only been 50 miles, so cannot say too much. No tread wear observed. No failures going through the sharp, rocky stuff.

Conclusion.
They seem OK, but probably not the tire for my kind of riding in my area. I am not concerned so much about a fast tire, but a tire that grabs in the rough stuff. I think they are somewhat designed for longer trips on generally less rocky trails. If so, I think they would be great for that. I am going to put a different front on, but will use them as a rear tire since they seem to work OK for that.

And pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
813 Posts
I just put these on last weekend. 2nd ride on them today and one of the outer "knobs" split. The connection between the triangular portion and trapezoidal portion of the outer knob split slightly. But, it was enough that Stans didn't seal it. Kinda frustrating, but I ride very rocky, desert terrain (Phoenix area), so maybe just a case of bad luck.

Same rims as clydecrash; had to use a compressor to seat the bead initially.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Even though was not happy with the short lifespan I got of one tire, I figured that since I had already paid for them I might as well run the second one. Got two more rides out of it. Same type of failure this morning, lug split at the junction to the casing.

Must be rider error, but I've been riding the same triails for 15 years. Guess I just learned my lesson to stick with what I know works and not venture into new tire territory. Might as well have just thrown a $100 bill in the trash, would have been less work. Oh well.

Funny thing is there's an ad in this month's Bike magazine about the Cougar being their new aggressive tire for rocky trails...

Looks like I'll stick with Specialized, at least if this happend with one of their tires I'd be on a new one for free.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.