Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up some Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3 MRC tires. These tires are very nice. High volume, an actual 2.3 width and KNOBBY! Big corner lugs really allow this thing to rail turns plus a healthy casing. They actually roll good too; the only draw back I can tell is their directional stability. With the corner tread groove being as big as it is and riding on the crown of the tire when going straight, the tire likes to flop to one side pretty easily, just takes some ride time to get use to. Really good on dry loose SoCal terrain and womps over rocks. Kinda wonder why more people don't ride this tire, especially at the 668 grams mine weighed in at.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
I got a pair too but it's the UST version and I was using smaller, lighter, faster tires for the trails I was riding over the week-end. They'll get on the bike this week... Maybe just a front one but your comments make me think I should use both...

I have tried the High Rollers UST 2.35. The High rollers are good tires going down. They are stable, grippy, corner well but the 42A rubber really makes them slow rollers, they feel like something is holding you when pedaling... and on flats and climbs, don't dare stop pedalling, you'll almost stop immediatly. Also, the ramped knobs of the High Rollers really hurt driving traction when used on the back. Okay if you are mostly going down but when traction is critical in rocks and slippery trails, especially going uphill, they are not the best thing. I cannot say yet how the Barracudas will behave in these situation but I'm sure they will climb much better.

·
Registered
252 Posts
barracuda real weight?

i got my lbs to weigh a hutchinson barracuda MRC medium 2.3 (non tubeless) and they said it was 900grams including the plastic packaging, has anyone weighed one cos i'd really like it to weigh 668 grams like above

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.