Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anybody wants to plan a mtb vacation next year I would suggest SanJuan Huts. We rode in Durango,Coloradofor two days before we started the trip and rode in Moab,Utah for 3 days after we got there. The last Hut is 1 mile for the start of the " Whole Enchilada" so the last day you ride TWE into Moab.The adventure of a lifetime!

·
Registered
205 Posts
That's awesome. We just signed up for next September. Any tips?

motobutane said:
If anybody wants to plan a mtb vacation next year I would suggest SanJuan Huts. We rode in Durango,Coloradofor two days before we started the trip and rode in Moab,Utah for 3 days after we got there. The last Hut is 1 mile for the start of the " Whole Enchilada" so the last day you ride TWE into Moab.The adventure of a lifetime!

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We went in September also and the weather was perfect. Pack light- I basically wore the same clothes every day. A" Sawyer" in line water filter was nice and make sure your bike is in top shape, and train to be able to ride 35 miles per day. We took all the alternate routes in order to see more secenery and ride more single track.The first day Alternate is 22 miles total but its the hardest, at 12000 plus above sea level and alot of hike-a-bike,the Colorado trail is rough.The Huts are awesome with more food than you could eat- eggs,bacon,pasta,coffee,candybars and powerbars and lots of canned food.You will not be sorry!PM me and I'll give you my phone # and I can give you more insight.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Two years ago a group of us did the trip in September also - had good weather and a great time! The group of people is just as important as the riding and place - so pick a good bunch of folks that are low-key and tend to get along and you'll have a great week. We did Telluride-Moab, but both routes are supposed to be great. Do carry gear for cold or wet weather though - that part of the world is usually nice in September, but the weather can change quickly and at altitude, you can get big snow in September. I know people who went the 2nd week of Sept 4 years ago and had tons of rain and gnarly mud hike-a-bike days on stuff we rolled through at 15 mph. We only had rain one day, and it got cold quickly, rained and then cleared up to be a nice day again...

·
Registered
1 Posts
met you in Moab

Hey Motobutane,
We met you and your friend on Amasaback trail before you went to Durango. Looks like it was a great trip. Cool pictures that you posted. We took some pretty good video while we were there, I'm still doing some editing on it. I'll get you guys a copy when it's done.

You can contact me at [email protected].
Thanks,
Royce

Attachments

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sup

Its a big-small world out there. Good to here from you obnoxious,we were along way from North Carolina.We had another in our party that took a few hours of video and he is still editing it,so definitely post yours up when you get through. We met so many fellow mtb'ers......but I remember your bunch,ya'll made us miss - Pothole,Rockstacker and Jacksons trail. We were talking and flying back down Amasa Back and we saw that really old guy bomb off a narly,rocky section on a 1980's bike and having too much fun......so we went back out there and rode all those trails after we got back from Hut-to-Hut.

I think there were 20 or 25 people up there that morning....does it get any better than this,Nope.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts