Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
What do you mean by "true hut to hut routes"? Only a couple of the AMC huts are open in the winter from what I recall. Carter Notch definitely is, I think Zealand is and maybe Lonesome Lake, but I'm pretty sure the above treeline ones (Lake of the Clouds, Mizpah, Galehead, etc) are shut down in winter...
Who needs huts though? They're definitely convenient, but you can travel in the mountains in winter without them too...

·
Registered
752 Posts
Ah, ok. Yeah, there are huts in the Whites and other AMC territory, lots of shelters/lean-to's elsewhere (I doubt I need to mention the AT/LT), but almost none of them bike accessible (as far as I know). Most of the high trails in New England would be hike-a-bike anyway.
Having hiked the entire AT, there were sections I would have killed to have a bike on, if only to cover ground quicker and have some awesome descents...

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
starry said:
cool, thanks....yeah i mean for summer mountain biking.
im looking at the ADKs for lean tos... and connector trails.
there would be some hike a bite depending on where you head... and if you cross wilderness you'll be walking. hopefully this summer i'll ride over there set up camp and explore for a day or two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.